friday when savage ares killed halirrhothius

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Pinno wrote:
    I picked a pair of DA CL1350's on flea bay for 250 nicker. They were a bit worn but are still going. Cannot fault them. Excellent climbing wheels. Front and rear 1350 grams the pair.
    Depends what you're after really.
    Nice.
    After a decent budget all rounder for now. Askiums seem about the same as the Canondale stock that I had, but for £30 more I'm going to give the CRC own brand ones a go and are supposedly lighter. What's the worst that can happen? :D

I'll get some decent race/TT/climbing wheels as a spare set another time and keep them for races/TTs/hill climbs and not riding around where I'm likely to fall in hole.

Edit: given up on that as they won't accept my BC discount :|

A good all round wheel for agricultural use are the Fulcrums. I had a pair for winter and they were indestructible. They were 7's and a bit heavy, perhaps a pair of 3's?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fulcrum-Raci ... SwzoJanwm4

Built by Campag too. I did have a pair of Scirocco's and they punched well above their weight, so much so I went for a pair of Eurus. Just to see of course :wink:

Oooh looky:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fulcrum-raci ... SwIhtamoo5
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fulcrum-raci ... Sw-btapWdl

Smart looking hubs.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Big Harv wrote:
    I've decided the Russians are innocent. It was definitely the actuaries.

It may snow tomorrow in the eastern counties.

(Random. Bear with...)

Big Harv - are you bigger than Big Hoppy?
    You can't be as big as 'Cycling prop' - he's the biggest bloke ever to pedal a bicycle @ 125kg's

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... #p20302525

Actually, Homer's Double is in your league. Stevo666 weighs in at just over 45kg's. He done his shoulder in after hitting a 3 foot sapling.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:
    Ain't no one bigger than me.
    Tarmac runs down hills quicker than I climb them.
  • pinno
    Yay it's Hoppy.

What you at Hoppy? Or should I ask: What's tonight's tipple?
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    Yay it's Hoppy.

What you at Hoppy? Or should I ask: What's tonight's tipple?

Tonight's tipple is 7 Rue de la Pompe, from Jeff Coutelou. Went a treat with some lamb steaks, mushrooms, and a pack of veg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Pinno wrote:
    I've got those fancy new disc brake things though and I'm not sure how easy it is to brake a road bike with your shoes like a BMX :mrgreen:

I managed to order the Primes off CRC, with next day delivery, well before the cutoff time. Lets see if they turn up.
  • pinno
    A fresh red or a vintage & Rue de la Pompe?

Any good? I like easy drinking reds - not too much tannin. Definitely not Claret.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

Any good? I like easy drinking reds - not too much tannin. Definitely not Claret.

It's young and fresh. It's easy enough, but has some tannic grip to keep some interest. A well brewed cup of tea perhaps. But there's so much fruit, the tannin is just backbone. Not like a manky cheap claret by any means.
  • pinno
    edited March 2018
    Pinno wrote:
    I've got those fancy new disc brake things though and I'm not sure how easy it is to brake a road bike with your shoes like a BMX :mrgreen:

I managed to order the Primes off CRC, with next day delivery, well before the cutoff time. Lets see if they turn up.

Ha ha. Funny you should say that. I had a mate. Well, more of an acquaintance. He had one of those Raleigh Grfiters. The brake pads were worn, so he used his Doc Martins until one day (trying to race me the tw@t) he over cooked a junction and put his feet down and went into the side of a car and over the bonnet.
    F(ckin; hiklarious -couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
    The woman driver was mortified. She stopped to check Grifter bloke out who came out of it without a scratch.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

I have prime wheels Thistle. Fancy carbon ones. They're great. They're still round after 6 months bouncing over London potholes with my weight. Disc brakes too.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

It's young and fresh. It's easy enough, but has some tannic grip to keep some interest. A well brewed cup of tea perhaps. But there's so much fruit, the tannin is just backbone. Not like a manky cheap claret by any means.

Hmm. Might be worth a try.

One of the best reds I had was a Chiraz Merlot by Old Git. Quite unusual for an Australian red. Come across the label?
  • hopkinb
    Have I come across an old git? Not since that dodgy maths teacher. :shock:
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:

Did he like you? :D
  • hopkinb
    Man I buy most of my wine from is great.

http://www.lsfinewines.co.uk/

No connection other than being a customer for more than 10 years now.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Unfortunately he did. But fortunately, he wasn't predatory. My mum still has the photos on the wall at home.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Man I buy most of my wine from is great.

http://www.lsfinewines.co.uk/

No connection other than being a customer for more than 10 years now.

Oh no. I daredn't go down that route.
    When PPP is finally finished, I will buy a really top red and a Fonseca No.2.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Unfortunately he did. But fortunately, he wasn't predatory. My mum still has the photos on the wall at home.

Photo's of what?!
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Photo's of what?!

:D

As well as being a perv, he was a photographer. Took some portraits of me and my brother.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Pinno wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    I've decided the Russians are innocent. It was definitely the actuaries.

It may snow tomorrow in the eastern counties.

(Random. Bear with...)

You can't be as big as 'Cycling prop' - he's the biggest bloke ever to pedal a bicycle @ 125kg's.

No, a weedy 77kg but 6 ft 3 inches vertical. Come to think of it horizontal too.

Evening, tonight's tipple was a Picpoule de Pinet white. As it's going to snow tomorrow.
  • pinno
    Picpoule de Pinet - Waitrose?

Go on, give us the gen on that one. We could start the BB wine club
    Seano will be automatically excluded as he won't pay above £4.99.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm in for the wine club thing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Picpoul is the favourite white wine from the Languedoc (S France), even Tesco are finally knocking out a decent bottle (albeit £7 or thereabouts). I highly recommend it as it's nicely crisp on the palate. If you're exploring the Languedoc in person you need to try the rose, however they are hard to get in the UK, and bloody awful if you do. Odd that.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    I'm in for the wine club thing.
    Until this everning me too, but bought an ‘on offer’ bottle of battery acid from the local shop