Mavic CXP 22- lateral play in rear wheel- causes?

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,
My winter commute is a Boardman Road Team Sport 2014. It has Mavic cxp 22 wheels front and back. Ive recently noticed that the rear wheel has a little side to side movement when still. Ive checked the QR's are securely fastened and Ive tightened the cassette lock ring, neither of which has resolved the issue.
Im not well versed in the likely causes but am keen to try and repair myself if possible before considering LBS. Could I implore those more knowledgeable here as to what could be the cause of this lateral movement?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tighten up the cones ?
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Same wheels on my Boardman. Front wheel has been back to be re-tried twice and the rear once. In 500 or so miles.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    These are not Mavic wheels as such. What you have are factory-built wheels with Mavic CXP 22 rims and cheap OEM hubs, probably Formula or similar. My wife had some Formula hubs on one of her bikes. That had standard cup and cone bearings similar to Shimano but less well sealed and more fiddly to adjust properly. If your hubs are like this, you just need a set of cone spanners to take out play from the hub.
  • What causes the cones to become loose?? I tightened up the cones on my rear wheel, there was no lateral movement. When I checked again after 2 days commuting (50 miles) they were just as loose again.

I'm going to tighten them again this weekend, guessing that I am just not tightening up the locking nut enough?? That wasn't the first time that I'd had to tighten them, maybe just rubbish wheels.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    What causes the cones to become loose?? I tightened up the cones on my rear wheel, there was no lateral movement. When I checked again after 2 days commuting (50 miles) they were just as loose again.

I'm going to tighten them again this weekend, guessing that I am just not tightening up the locking nut enough?? That wasn't the first time that I'd had to tighten them, maybe just rubbish wheels.

Cones can work loose with time. But if you adjust them properly it won't happen very often. The trick is to use two cone spanners, tightening both the cone and the locking nut towards each other. It is not sufficient simply to tighten the locking nut - it will just work loose again within a few miles. I use vice grips on the other end of the axle to stop it turning, holding them in place with my foot while adjusting. It is a bit fiddly and can take several attempts to get it right. You just want a tiny bit of play in the cones. This vanishes when you do up the quick release.
  • pete1336
    Many thanks for your replies. Will give that a go.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    dint just tighen u the cones. First dismantle the internals. inspect the bearings. clean everything up. new grease, replace bearing with grade 25 or ideally grade 10. Grade 10 balls are rounder and your hub will last longer regardless of what any one else says. lashing of new grease and adjust the hub cones so there is the smallest hint of play. When the Q/R is tight the play should go away. Regular servicing on a these kind of hub helps them last longer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    What causes the cones to become loose?? I tightened up the cones on my rear wheel, there was no lateral movement. When I checked again after 2 days commuting (50 miles) they were just as loose again.

Cones can work loose with time. But if you adjust them properly it won't happen very often. The trick is to use two cone spanners, tightening both the cone and the locking nut towards each other. It is not sufficient simply to tighten the locking nut - it will just work loose again within a few miles. I use vice grips on the other end of the axle to stop it turning, holding them in place with my foot while adjusting. It is a bit fiddly and can take several attempts to get it right. You just want a tiny bit of play in the cones. This vanishes when you do up the quick release.

I did use two cone spanners last time, but will have another look again tonight whilst locking off the other end of the axle & hopefully this will do the trick.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    dint just tighen u the cones. First dismantle the internals. inspect the bearings. clean everything up. new grease, replace bearing with grade 25 or ideally grade 10. Grade 10 balls are rounder and your hub will last longer regardless of what any one else says. lashing of new grease and adjust the hub cones so there is the smallest hint of play. When the Q/R is tight the play should go away. Regular servicing on a these kind of hub helps them last longer.
    +1
    assuming the hubs have not been serviced they are definitely worth the once over.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • pete1336
    Thanks for replies...once I had an idea what the problem was I went a bit further than simply tightening up the cones. Found a video online covering servicing a Shimano hub and went the whole hog...enjoyed it too.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    pete1336 wrote:
    Thanks for replies...once I had an idea what the problem was I went a bit further than simply tightening up the cones. Found a video online covering servicing a Shimano hub and went the whole hog...enjoyed it too.
    Brilliant. Theres something satisfying about working it out and achieving for yourself.

I havent come accross a complex problem that needs an LBS