Removing Bontrager Freehub

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to remove the Bontrager freehub from my wheel but there are no service manuals available from Trek, does anyone know how it's done?

It's an 11 speed, part number W547627 and is fitter to a Formula DC1248 rear hub.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The majority of formula are remove the axle and then an Allen key up inside the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A bloody big one. 12mm I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    Thanks both.

I was just about to ask if anyone knew what size? I haven't found that model of freehub in any of my searches yet, some (but not all) that I have found come with an 11mm adaptor. Which is a pain in the arse.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not sure I'm right. I have some Bontrager wheels but might be DT Swiss hubs rebadged.

This might help, seems to stop around 2014 though.

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/PDF/trek_hub_bearing_qrg.pdf

Last page for freehub removal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    Turns out it's a 14mm and the wheel bearing has to be removed to get the hex key in. Pretty annoying.

I've used some heavy penetrating oil and the freehub is now free but I'll need to get it off sooner rather than later and do it properly.

Given that the technical information from Trek was wrong, I don't have much confidence that the part number they have supplied for the freehub is correct either.