TdF Tourmalet viewing

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited March 2018 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning on watching 3 stages of the Tour this year during a 'tour de France' of our own in camping car. Going to take in a couple of stages in Brittany on our way South then, down to the Pyrenees where I intend riding a few cols.
Hoping to find a nice spot to park up to see the race come over Tourmalet. Any advice on how soon to get there and good spots to spectate?
We shall be down that way at least a week before Tourmalet stage so have plenty of time. Would like to spend a few days at Lac d'estaing first as looks a great spot.

Steve.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Better off parking away and biking up and down if you can to avoid the traffic.

On the big mountains you'd need to get there well in advance and then it's gridlock getting away again.
  • Trouble is my wife wants to watch as well and she's not got a bike. Thinking of driving over summit and either parking up there or somewhere down the other side to watch em climbing. We'll at least be moving on the opposite way to race so might miss worst of traffic. No great rush to move on anyway.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    I'd avoid driving at all costs on a day like that. Takes hours to clear the mountain of people, team buses, TV trucks etc.

I'd get her a rental bike for the day and ride up early. It's not steep, an hour or two of gentle riding up the climb together will get you to a great spot. It's also a ton of fun riding up with crowds cheering you on up the climb.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd plan on getting there a couple of days earlier then with all of your provisions - beer/cheese/wine and settle in for the duration. Bring sunblock and winter kit.

Make sure you're on the climb rather than the descent though - better VFM there.
  • Certainly wasn't planning on doing any driving on the day, that's why we're getting there early. Riding any kind of bike is not going to happen for my wife, least of all up Tourmalet. I've ridden it before so know what it's like. I think maybe it's best if we get up there 2 or 3 days before to be on safe side. We'll be on a 7 week trip so there's always plenty of food and drink on board ;). I can do a few good rides from there too! I must ride the climb on the day to get the atmosphere :D.
  • xacasar
    xacasar Posts: 13
    Certainly wasn't planning on doing any driving on the day, that's why we're getting there early. Riding any kind of bike is not going to happen for my wife, least of all up Tourmalet. I've ridden it before so know what it's like. I think maybe it's best if we get up there 2 or 3 days before to be on safe side. We'll be on a 7 week trip so there's always plenty of food and drink on board ;). I can do a few good rides from there too! I must ride the climb on the day to get the atmosphere :D.

Why not driving to the col du Soulor and park there ? The riders won't be in a bunch, the show will last longer, the crowd will be creasier and with a bit of chance you could watch in live the last attack of the Tour de France ;)
    Be carreful, don't go over the summit toward the col the Aubisque, cause on this side of the Aubisque, it won't be possible to park, as the route is too narrow.
    I would recommend to you to get there the day before, in the morning, you should find a good spot in the last kilometers of this climb.
    If not, drive all the way to the top (where there is 2 restaurants...), and then turn right. You'll go down a bit the other side of the col du Soulor, the route will probably be closed and you should find a space to park quite easily.

www.bikebasque.com
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Trouble is my wife wants to watch as well and she's not got a bike. Thinking of driving over summit and either parking up there or somewhere down the other side to watch em climbing. We'll at least be moving on the opposite way to race so might miss worst of traffic. No great rush to move on anyway.
    Is it possible to arrange some parking at the ugly ski area? Especially if you get there a few days early. An early, long but leisurely stroll to your spot of choice with provisions.
    PS - I can only find details of the first 2 stages to check direction. Are you sure?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.