R8050 new ultegra di2

gary_sparrow
gary_sparrow Posts: 181
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Just upgraded to this . First time using di2

Few snags if anyone can help

Bluetooth won’t connect to E-TUBE app. Do I need to buy a Bluetooth dongle or can I simply connect to a laptop and configure settings ?

Can I set synchro shift or semi synchro on the top buttons of the hoods ?

The bike is initially set up not going into the last two cogs 11 and 12 while on the small chainring , it’s ok in the big chainring . Ok normally I don’t cross chain but I’d prefer to have full use of the gears on both rings .

Comments

• sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Pretty sure to connect to the etube app on tablet/phone you will need a EW-WU101 and a wire to connect it into the system, I put mine between the battery and the junction box ,so unplugged the battery plugged in the EW-WU101 then put the new cable/wire from that to the battery. As far as switching between syncshift and semi sync etc I believe thst needs to be done from the app or the main junction box/ control on the bike.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes you need a D-Fly unit to connect via BTE, but you can simply plug into a PC and edit the settings there. In my experience so far, it is a lot easier and less problematic doing it from the PC anyway.

You can get it to use all sprockets on the cassette, you just need the correct synchro setting. It can either be non-synchro, semi synchro where you operate the front derailleur and it will auto change the rear when you change on the front, or full synchro where the front will auto change depending on what gearing you use on the cassette. I use Q rings and find semi synchro works best.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Definitely need d-fly to connect to the Bluetooth app. The app is nice but to be honest once DI2 is set up you very rarely need to tinker. What's of more use is the integration to a head unit which I find quite nifty.

Switching between shift modes is a toggle on the a-junction.

When you set up syncro shift you need to tell the DI2 unit what gearing you have. Lot's of shops forget to do this which may be why you're having shift issues.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stueys wrote:
    Definitely need d-fly to connect to the Bluetooth app. The app is nice but to be honest once DI2 is set up you very rarely need to tinker. What's of more use is the integration to a head unit which I find quite nifty.

Switching between shift modes is a toggle on the a-junction.

When you set up syncro shift you need to tell the DI2 unit what gearing you have. Lot's of shops forget to do this which may be why you're having shift issues.

Its also a problem when you have mongrel gearing like me with 50/36. It won't allow that so I have to settle for 50/34 or 52/36 and pretend that is what I'm running.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I believe that the R8050 won’t let you go into the two smallest cogs when on the small chainring or let you move down to the small shainring from the large if you are in either of the two smallest cogs. I don’t think it matters what shifting mode you are using.
  • It’s hard to get correct info as it’s relatively new and most people are still running the older one .
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    You can get it to use all the gears as if it was mechanical ..its just syncshift and semi sync that you can alter how and when it changes the front and rear to try maintain closer ratio shifts
  • This is from the dealer manual for the R8050 series.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvbzxl9gi3bfyzd/fullsizeoutput_1987.jpeg?dl=0

Looks as if Shimano has stopped the ability to run small small on the R8050 series totally.
  • drexel1975 wrote:
    This is from the dealer manual for the R8050 series.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvbzxl9gi3bfyzd/fullsizeoutput_1987.jpeg?dl=0

Looks as if Shimano has stopped the ability to run small small on the R8050 series totally.

Thanks for the info . Appreciated . Hopefully it will work ok on its 2nd test tonight