Wrong size bike from Hybrid to Road Bike

woodland81
woodland81 Posts: 19
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I've just bought and collected my boardman carbon road bike.

I dont think its the correct size. I visited a store beforehand and asked, he said that with me having a boardman mx comp hybrid, the geometry is the same so the frame size that i have for the hybrid would be what i need for the road

Hybrid was 49cm
For the road bike i could only get 51.5cm, 53, 55, 57cm so went for the smallest, being the 51cm.

With it being dark when i got it home and partially building it, i havent blown the tyres up, they are partially done. Just seems smaller and shorted. Being new to road bikes i wasnt sure if this is how it should be

Do you think i have the wrong size & advised badly.

Comments

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    How tall are you? That would be a good starting point to give you an idea.
  • You have been advised badly IMO, if the 49cm CX Comp fitted well, I suspect you need the 55.5cm Carbon Road

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 4cm-frames (590mm top tube with 100mm stem)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... 5cm-frames (55.5cm frame has 570mm top tube and 110mm stem, plus the bars will have ~80-100mm reach to the hoods)

Can't see stack and reach geometry on either page.

I'm 5'10" with ~32.5" cycling (not trouser) inseam. My 18" Voodoo has 595mm top tube and I'm currently using a 110mm +17 degree stem, I test rode a 55.5 CX Team last year on a turbo in-store for ~60mins and the fit was great (I just couldn't get on with my first try of SRAM Double Tap gearing).

Why didn't you sit on the road bike in-store? It sounds like you have picked it up in box form to sort out yourself, on blind faith of the salesperson! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • They never offered a sit down, I didnt ask to be fair as the bike I wanted was up on a shelf not on the shop floor and below was all the others.

I can see that they have the 53 and 55 in stock on click and collect. So im sure if i took this back tomorrow i could swap it for one of those. I took his advise as knowing what he was talking about. I even showed him the one I had, said wasnt sure about the size so measured it at home and went from there with my purchase. I actually thought the one i ordered might have been slightly bigger than my hybrid lol.

I waited a week for the size i picked too to be delivered to store, typical.

I think im about 5 '7

I've got it on the cycle2work scheme so i went in store for size advise (already knowing what i wanted) then waited for my application to come thru then ordered online.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    According to the charts on the Boardman site you might have the right size. 5'7" is valid for three frame sizes including the one you have.

I don't think you can blame the store.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Take the bike back and ask to try the 53cm and 55cm bikes they have in store, I don't see why they wouldn't exchange the un-ridden 49cm bike for you.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm slightly taller than you OP and I ride an equivalent to a 51 in a Boardman CX bike. All down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable on. I prefer a smaller frame with a longer stem(nothing silly, 110mm). My other bikes are size 52.
    Best to take it back to the shop and ask them to let you try out different sizes, just to ensure there is no problems with a refund if you were to scratch the boardman you have and then want to return it.
    My brother is the same height as me, he prefers a 54. Just how it goes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    DJ58 wrote:
    Take the bike back and ask to try the 53cm and 55cm bikes they have in store, I don't see why they wouldn't exchange the un-ridden 49cm bike for you.

OP has the 51cm.

49cm was his hybrid bike before that.

I think 55 would be too big - but he's probably fine for 51 or 53 cm ?