New frameset

nicleza
nicleza Posts: 30
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I am thinking about replacing my Bianchi Intrepida frame that I bought last year to a frame with a more aggressive geometry made for racing and Speed instead of comfort that the Bianchi Intrepida is made for.
I have been looking at S-Works Tarmac made last year and also Yonex frames: http://www.yonex.co.jp/sp/roadbike/news ... 61100.html. The Yonex frame is very expensive but I wont have to pay full price, around half. I am waiting for what price they will offer me and also whats included.

I dont want to buy a new bike, just frameset and maybe new handlebars (aero frame with aero bars). But I am thinking if its putting make-up on a pig if I choose to get for example the Tarmac and assemble it with the Shimano 105 groupset and Campagnolo Zonda wheels.

I would like some input from more experienced riders and hopefully some advises. I am willing to pay up to 2000 euros for a frame, could go over that price for something special.

I am 1.75 tall and around 55 kg.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never heard of Yonex ? Are they popular where you are ?

105 works as well as any top groupset - it's just marginally heavier.

What about Giant ? They make some great frames.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Have a look at R & A cycles clearance area - some great bargains.

Re that Yonex - on first glance that’s really nice. Let me grab a coffee and investigate further.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yonex, like Head, also make tennis rackets. Is it a generic open mould frame or a new design?
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Why dont you go for the Oltre XR3? you are staying at Bianchi but you get the CV for comfort on an aero frame. You cant do much better than that.
  • Matthewfalle
    Yonex, like Head, also make tennis rackets. Is it a generic open mould frame or a new design?

Neill Pride also make masts but their. FRames are bloody good.

Does a manufacturers other interests make any difference?

Or are we talking brand snobbery again?

If it's a good frame at a good price and he likes it then let's have a clear minded closer look.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    It's not brand snobbery it's just taking into account where these come from
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    You can't go from riding a Bianchi to riding a Specialized. It's like going from driving a Ferrari to driving a Ford. It's just not the done thing. :P
  • Matthewfalle
    It's not brand snobbery it's just taking into account where these come from

Of course it's brand snobbery.

"Taking into account where these came from" is just a bloke denying that he is a brand snobbery and not trying to say "it's from the same place where they make tennis rackets"

I'd rather have that thing than a Madone - it can't be as utterly dull as a Madone.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    I know neilpryde pretty well. The point is not to be lured into a new bike just because of the brand when many others produce the exact same bike without using a well-known brand. For example some De Rosa bikes are pretty well known open mould frame. Planet X are great bikes, but also the exact same bikes are sold by other manufacturers and distributors under their own names. Not that that's a bad thing. The Irish national TT champ won on a Chinese open mould frame. The point I am making is to be informed before spending money on a 'new brand'

Pointing out open mould frames with known brands does not constitute snobbishness. Not quite sure why you see it that way.
  • shirley_basso
    Also Neil pryde masts are bloody annoying as they are incredibly expensive and you can only use them with a few brands of sails due to the nature of the curve when rigged (mostly compatible with Hot and Simmer) meanwhile most other brands have gone down a middle of the line route and recut their sails to suit.

Just because you can layup carbon doesn't mean you can make bikes
  • nicleza
    cougie wrote:
    Never heard of Yonex ? Are they popular where you are ?

105 works as well as any top groupset - it's just marginally heavier.

What about Giant ? They make some great frames.

They mainly produce badminton and tennis gear and probably dont exist here in Guatemala.
    Giant works fine for me. I dont need to have Yonex, Specialized or Bianchi :)
  • nicleza

I think its Yonex own stuff, it is supposed to weight 650 grams. But what do I know :roll:
    YiannisM wrote:
    Why dont you go for the Oltre XR3? you are staying at Bianchi but you get the CV for comfort on an aero frame. You cant do much better than that.

Do you know any good deals for that frame?
  • Matthewfalle
    Also Neil pryde masts are bloody annoying as they are incredibly expensive and you can only use them with a few brands of sails due to the nature of the curve when rigged (mostly compatible with Hot and Simmer) meanwhile most other brands have gone down a middle of the line route and recut their sails to suit.

Just because you can layup carbon doesn't mean you can make bikes

Just because you can make bikes doesn’t mean that you can lay up carbon.

And all the reviews of Neil Pryde bikes we’ll rate them.

But hey, why let the facts spoil a good brand snob......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    Again I think you're missing the point. I don't care who makes a bike. My point is that given cycling is enjoying a global boom there are many brands hoping to get on that bandwagon. One way to do this cheaply is to order open mould frames and slap your brand name on it and then charge a premium for the privilege.

I am not saying equivocally that this is what Yonex do but I am suggesting it's possible that's what they are doing so maybe just double check it's the case.

Suggesting someone investigate where a frame comes from a new manufacturer isn't being a brand snobbery.

I'm aware NP make good bikes. I have a few of their masts, sails and wetsuits. And their frames are pretty unique, so clearly not open mould.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Yonex, like Head, also make tennis rackets.

They also make lots of golf clubs.

Somebody might like to know that. :D
  • nicleza
    Feel free to come with suggestions on frameset thats good and nicely priced :). Doesnt matter if the framebuilder also makes tennis equipment, wind surfing stuff or sex toys as long as its good stuff.

Bianchi Oltre XR3 from YiannisM is noted ☺️.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Nicleza wrote:
    Feel free to come with suggestions on frameset thats good and nicely priced :). Doesnt matter if the framebuilder also makes tennis equipment, wind surfing stuff or sex toys as long as its good stuff.

Recently 2 of my friends bought full 105 XR3 for 2900 euros, but again i live in Cyprus, the dealer here is not selling online. I am pretty sure that if you search online you will find some good deals. On FB they are also some bianchi owners clubs and some times they sell their bikes on a good price too.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I remembered this Yonex frame or something like it being talked about before... found it, over on weenies.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=121719
  • nicleza
    YiannisM wrote:
    Nicleza wrote:

Recently 2 of my friends bought full 105 XR3 for 2900 euros, but again i live in Cyprus, the dealer here is not selling online. I am pretty sure that if you search online you will find some good deals. On FB they are also some bianchi owners clubs and some times they sell their bikes on a good price too.

Thats a great price. I cant find a Oltre XR3 frameset online, only the whole bike. I find it very hard to find a frameset that I like, fits and matches my budget :/.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    XR3 is only sold as a bike. XR4 comes as a frameset (at a price!)
  • nicleza
    jrich wrote:
    XR3 is only sold as a bike. XR4 comes as a frameset (at a price!)

That makes sense. Looks like I am switching from Bianchi to something else then!