What 25mm tyres for Paris Roubaix?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Unfortunately 25mm is the max I can use on my frame. Which 25 mm tyres for this sportive?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have a look at Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    25mm is not work max. you should measure your actually max width and subtract 2mm from each side for the min clearance you need. also measure your max height.

no two 25mm tyres have the same bead to bead distance and your rim width is important too. therefore suggesting a tyre based on the manufacturers stated max tyre width is going to be a act of faith. you may be able to get Vittoira Pave 27mm tyres in the bike on narrow rims for example as they will be 25 to 25.5mm wide on a 24/15mm internal width rim. If you can find the tyre that is. IRC Aspite Pro wet is a bit too small at 24mm wide on wide rims so that out. A tubeless tyre would be ideal or perhaps a if tubes are required a vittoria Rubino G+ tyre.

See what i mean.

When i am ruler only the bead to bead distance can be quoted....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • JC78DSL99
    JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
    You need something with a file tread for grip and bomb proof puncture protection. I'm doing it on 28mm Panaracer gravel kings. Think they come in 26 mm which should fit as the 28's aren't big.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Which 25 mm tyres for this sportive?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Which 25 mm tyres for this sportive?

What a time to be alive
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • on-yer-bike

Why is that funny?
    What size tyres would Roger De Vlaeminck, Sean Kelly and even Magnus Bakstedt used? Arent frames with massive clearance a new thing?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I used 25mm Michelin Pro 4s a few years back without any problems. Well, other than this... :D

17061785046_e0d400f1ec_c.jpg
    JC78DSL99 wrote:
    You need something with a file tread for grip and bomb proof puncture protection. I'm doing it on 28mm Panaracer gravel kings. Think they come in 26 mm which should fit as the 28's aren't big.

Not sure I agree with this. I tried 28mm Continental Gatorskins one year, preferred the Pro 4s.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Ive used 25mm tyres for two Club Roubaix rides and last years challenge event, all full distance. I too, like you couldnt get 28s in the frame. Id recommend Conti Grand Prix 25 standard type not used the expensive 4 seasons etc. I find the contis in 25 mm are widish. The tyres choice for Rbx comes up alot, you will be fine with 25mm tyres add the right pressure for your weight and go for it. Im 88 kg and go with 90 psi.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

Why is that funny?
    What size tyres would Roger De Vlaeminck, Sean Kelly and even Magnus Bakstedt used? Arent frames with massive clearance a new thing?

Yeah, true... but I always laugh when I hear of someone who wants to do PR for the first time... it's a sadist kind of laugh... I don't think there is a good Emoji on Bike radar for that...

Seriously... try to enjoy it without too much fear... those cobbles are terrifying, especially if they are wet and especially the descents and those tight bends. Your hands should never see the hoods when you are on the stones... you either go on the drops, which allow you to brake should you need to or on the tops, which means you are not going to brake (which is fine)... stick to one gear you can mash at a range of speeds from 15 to 30 km/h and don't change... this is my top advice.

Tyres are tyres, the stones are too rough for a tyre to help you much. Big tyres might give you a bit more safety margin, but in terms of 'comfort"... well there is no comfort, neither with 23 mm tyre nor with 40 mm tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grab a fatbike, fit 4.8" Jumbo Jims, some wide gravel bars and a bar end shifter. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cycleclinic
    It's not quite that bad ugo. I enjoyed it in a type 2 sort of way.

Vittoria Pave's 27mm are 25mm wide on narrow rims so they might fit.

one gear is fine. I think I managed the hoods on a decent with a tight bend at the bottom doing 25mph wondering how on earth i was going to slow down enough to make the turn...... I did but I am not sure how. 53x13 all the way for me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Good luck, did Arenberg in a storm both ways as a stop off on the way back to Calais and I wouldn't fancy "racing" it in the wet with other riders around on 25mm tyres. That said it is my only experience of those type of cobbles but they were worse than I imagined.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • on-yer-bike
    It's not quite that bad ugo. I enjoyed it in a type 2 sort of way.

Vittoria Pave's 27mm are 25mm wide on narrow rims so they might fit.

one gear is fine. I think I managed the hoods on a decent with a tight bend at the bottom doing 25mph wondering how on earth i was going to slow down enough to make the turn...... I did but I am not sure how. 53x13 all the way for me.
    Its actually more the height that is the problem. I guess the only way is to buy them and if they dont fit, sell them for half price the Bike Radar forum.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    Vittoria dont make Open Paves any more
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cycleclinic
    you can still buy them though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good luck, did Arenberg in a storm both ways as a stop off on the way back to Calais and I wouldn't fancy "racing" it in the wet with other riders around on 25mm tyres. That said it is my only experience of those type of cobbles but they were worse than I imagined.

Arenberg is far, far worse than all the other sectors. There are a few that share the 4 star rating, but in reality compared to the other 4s, Arenberg is a 10. Impressed you did it both ways, the two times I have ridden it the last thing on earth I would want to do would be to turn round and try it in the other direction!
    58585 Posts: 207
    Pretty obvious isn't it?
    http://www.veloflex.it/products/roubaix.asp
    Treat yourself to a nice set of Bora 35s to put them on too, if this is your main sportive of the year.
  • on-yer-bike
    58585 wrote:
    Pretty obvious isn't it?
    http://www.veloflex.it/products/roubaix.asp
    Treat yourself to a nice set of Bora 35s to put them on too, if this is your main sportive of the year.
    I already have a set of Bora 35 Im not planning on using them for this though
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo