Stanton Slackline 853

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited March 2018 in MTB general
Slackline 853 26" is my current ride and I just can't get on with it and was wondering what's the idea of the geometry?

I loved my cotic soul 853 and found it to be easier to ride fast, the slackline doesn't seem to like hills as much and seems to require more effort in the tight sections, maybe it's just me?

The finish on the stanton is better the frame looks beautiful but something is missing for me.
It's on 409 130mm revaluations.

I wanted to know what exactly that frame was meant to be doing in terms of discipline?

I also have a 631/853 bfe to build on a 26" but I'm guessing it's similar in terms of geometry.

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    As the name suggests they’ve gone for a slack geometry to make it a more trail specific frame. You will generally find a slacker long travel bike will be tougher on the climbs and you may need to modify your climbing style to deal with it. When I moved over from my XC bike to a slacker long travel bike I really noticed the difference in the climbing. It takes much more effort partly because of the angle but also I suspect because of the longer travel forks. However where it will come into its own over and XC bike is when you point it downhill. In theory you should fine it enables you to hit corners faster and soak up more technical trails easier. It might just take time to get used it depending on how long you’ve had it and what you ride currently. I find I’ve had to change the way I ride the trail bike on climbs. Much more forward and upright if that makes sense whereas on the XC I can just sort of sit back and pedal if that makes sense.

Love the look of the Stanton slackline.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Nice one, thank you.

I don't do much in terms of downhill trails, mainly bumpy woodland terrain and I guess I have been sitting on the bike and riding it like I did the soul, I.E laid back, sitting down pedaling, might be my issue, can't do to much locally in terms of speed due to all the dogs lurking around.

I will take the slackline to the more technical parts of the woods where I ride and try and bond with it. It does look nice, especially in the candy apple red they finished it in.
  • slc123
    Nice one, thank you.

I don't do much in terms of downhill trails, mainly bumpy woodland terrain and I guess I have been sitting on the bike and riding it like I did the soul, I.E laid back, sitting down pedaling, might be my issue, can't do to much locally in terms of speed due to all the dogs lurking around.

I will take the slackline to the more technical parts of the woods where I ride and try and bond with it. It does look nice, especially in the candy apple red they finished it in.

I don't do downhill either, but when the trail bikes it big rock gardens or drop offs and technical fast flowing stuff they do tend to give you that extra confidence especially with the slacker angles. If I am riding something that I know is going to be more XC based and climbs I take my XC bike as it makes the whole experience more pleasurable!

Enjoy the bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend has a slackline, and while he loves it he finds it pretty horrid on the climbs, in fact reckons his Trance climbs better, it seems to need a 'winch it to the top' approach rather than anything like attacking climbs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    A friend has a slackline, and while he loves it he finds it pretty horrid on the climbs, in fact reckons his Trance climbs better, it seems to need a 'winch it to the top' approach rather than anything like attacking climbs.

Out of interest, what does he put that down to?
  • I took it to the more technical side of the woods and enjoyed it, just need to sort the brakes but I rode it in a higher gear using more leg power than leg speed and it seemed to work nicely, was actually effortless on small off the track routes, tree stumps, old broken brick paths etc

I climb hills okay with, 30t/40t just feels a bit awkward, like it wants you to stand up a lot.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    slc123 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Out of interest, what does he put that down to?
    Combination of slack head angle and also where the geometry puts you over the back wheel is what he thinks, it also struggles with traction on slippery climbs as it’s hard to get the weight balance right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.