Looking for the impossible? (Wheel thread)

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I am looking for a set of road wheels - must be disc brake and tubeless ready - price no more than £400.

I've seen the Hunt 4season gravel disc, but also seen some negative reviews.

Also looked at Cero ARD23 - but also seen negative reviews.

Also, considering Mavic Cosmic Elite UST(1850g) - but they're quite heavy imo - they're replacing a set of Aksium disc(2045g). But hardly any reviews....

Not a lot of weight saving....

Any other ideas?

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Superstar Arc31 disc, on special ATM for 150, with the code "BARGAIN". I've had two sets of superstar wheels, one great out of the box, the other needed back little work. The components are sound, the build not always 100%, but if you go in with your eyes open, not so bad
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... -wheelsets

Take a look at these. Lots of positive response for CycleClinic wheels on here.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Superstar Arc31 disc, on special ATM for 150, with the code "BARGAIN". I've had two sets of superstar wheels, one great out of the box, the other needed back little work. The components are sound, the build not always 100%, but if you go in with your eyes open, not so bad
    Got to agree with this. I was looking for a set of MTB wheels for around the £300 mark and bought a set of Superstar ones for £150 in the sale and they've been superb. Was slightly worried after a few mixed reviews about the build and freehub quality but mine have been spot on. As in the original post they are 400g lighter than the equivalent Mavic set and over £100 cheaper.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    I have the Mason 4 seasons. Not seen the negative reviews but am delighted with them. Light and stiff. I am using 12mm thru axles. I bought them for cross but am using them as best road wheels until I can get the Aero 30's.
  • venster wrote:

Not a lot of weight saving....

Where was that in the requirement?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • venster
    You’re correct - I didn’t mention weight, but if you’re paying £400 for a set of wheels you’d expect a bit more weight saving over Mavic’s Entry level wheels.

Thanks for all your replies, it gives me something more to look at.
  • Wheel weight savings won't benefit a rider who rides a lot of flat or downhill, for those conditions aero is king and often deep rim wheels will then have a bit more weight.

I've been window shopping a wheel upgrade for my Cube recently, looking at something lighter than the default ~1890g Fulcrum Racing Sport (77) DB for my hill climbing adventures.
    The safe option looks to be Campagnola Zonda C17 disc bolt thrus, which can be had for ~£380 at times (PBK codes for example).
    But a leftfield option I've seen is the http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod142940 for ~£269 for ~1460g before 10% British Cycling discount, ~£250 leaves me with plenty of that £400 to buy a pair of premium tyres; tubeless setup kit and some latex tubes... I'm a little hesistant because they almost seem too good to be true at this price, I don't want to "buy cheap, buy twice."
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The Prime wheels are decent for the price.

I've got the carbon tubeless road wheels they do and they're decent quality for what they cost.
  • venster
    I’ve bit the bullet and ordered a set of Hunt 4Season with Schwalbe tyres -
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Venster, did you go tubeless with the Hunt wheels?
    I've got a set, I like them, but they are designed for tubeless and can be tough getting clinchers on and off. By tough, I mean f**%*ing TOUGH. Other people may find them a doddle and I may just be as weak as a wet lettuce, but I'd hate to be at the side of the road on a cold wet night fixing a flat.

Also the only aero aspect to them is the name so don't expect too much speed difference (if any). But they look good and I've had no issues with mine, they are my winter bike wheels and have been through some horrible conditions with no fuss at all.

That sounds negative, but its just a reality check on £400 wheels. They are nice, roll well and mine have been reliable. That's all I wanted them for so for me I'm very happy with them.

PS - I've got a set of aero wheels that retail close to £2k and the speed / performance different isn't enormous.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited March 2018
    it is actually quite diifuclt to build light reliable disc brake wheels that last all riders.

hub are at least 400g/pair many more like 420 or 440g/pair. The lightest rim that is actually reliable is around 435g (DT Swiss have a lighter rim but it flexs more) and thin spoke save weight but some riders will break them so thicker stiffer spoke get used. so you always end up with disc brake wheels weighing more the rim brake wheels. Going 7lower than 1600g requires expensive parts.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • venster
    Hi w00dster.

I went for tubeless tyres and am having them fitted - I’m not expecting them to be aero - it’s all hilly where I live, and I’m not in the slightest aero myself !

Can’t wait to try them !