Tarmac Pro 2018 vs Cannondale Supersix Evo 2018

MazPt
MazPt Posts: 11
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I'm looking for an 'allround' bike. A bike that can go fast, but that is still comfortable enough to do long rides. Lots of people (bike shop owner and other cyclists) convinced me that the new Tarmac Pro 2018 would be an excellent choice. The reviews are pretty good and the bike comes with an increase in comfort in comparison to previous Tarmac frames. I've also heard some good things about the SS Evo. Although the SS comes with etap I hope I can convince the guy of the shop to install ultegra di2 on the bike.

In terms of comfort and components which one will be the 'better' option? I will put 28 mm tyres on the bike. Personnaly, I like the looks of the cannondale better, but I guess the Tarmac will be outstanding in terms of comfort and quality. I'm a bit disappointed that the SS evo doesn't come with a full Ultegra groupset. Heard some bad things about the bottom bracket.

I'll be test riding them both but I was hoping I could get some of your opinions on these bikes.

Tarmac
https://www.specialized.com/be/en/mens- ... 635-129283

SS Evo
http://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/Bik ... =undefined

thanks!

Comments

• MazPt wrote:
    Heard some bad things about the bottom bracket.

Was it creaking?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Personal choice would be the specialized, only because it's a newer design and I think it would be the better choice if comfort is on your list of priorities, not that I'd buy either if comfort was what I was looking for.
    Hope the dealer is going to reduce the price accordingly if e-tap is being replaced with ultegra di2.
    Curious to know why you'd want to swap it over unless it's for financial reasons.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    What is wrong with e-tap?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    You might want to check if the Supersix will take 28mm tyres. There's a thread on here suggesting that older models definitely won't.
  • MazPt
    MazPt Posts: 11
    Comfort is not my main aim, but I still want some of that. I don't want to feel beat up after 50-60k.

My current bike is somewhere between a race bike and an endurance bike. Stack is 550 and reach 384. Tarmac has stack 544 and reach 384. A roubaix has stack 588 and reach 375. In terms of stack/reach I think I'll be better off with a race bike because given my current measures an endurance bike will be too upright.

I don't want Etap because I've heard many good things about di2, shifts faster than etap etc etc.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    SRAM etap is on another level to Ultegra Di2, and I'd much rather have it. If you're insistent on Shimano I'd ask for Dura Ace Di2 as a swap (and even then maybe some money off compared to etap).

I had an older SS and it was very comfortable up to 100 miles or so, on 25mm tyres. That's all subjective though. I think the newer frame has more clearance. Can't comment on the Tarmac - haven't ridden one.
  • My SS Evo with eTap is a phenomenal bike.

Re. Di2 vs eTap. eTap looks great (my opinion), its more exculsive, its lightweight, no wires / control module, simple battery system .... you'd really have to be hunting for marginal gains if you remove eTap for Di2 on the basis of shifting speed.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I don't want Etap because I've heard many good things about di2, shifts faster than etap etc etc.[/quote]

You could maybe try riding a bike equipped with e-tap before dismissing it on other people's opinions. Both systems are great. The shift speed is negligible and other than that I can't think of any reason to favour ultegra di2 over e-tap, especially if the price is going to be the same.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    Poptart242 wrote:
    SRAM etap is on another level to Ultegra Di2, and I'd much rather have it. If you're insistent on Shimano I'd ask for Dura Ace Di2 as a swap (and even then maybe some money off compared to etap).

I had an older SS and it was very comfortable up to 100 miles or so, on 25mm tyres. That's all subjective though. I think the newer frame has more clearance. Can't comment on the Tarmac - haven't ridden one.
    This!
    E-tap is way to go.
  • JC78DSL99
    JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
    28mm fit my SS 2017. Limiting factor is the brake caliper, not the SS frame.

SRAM force brakes on that SS etap is very stingy and would need changing immediately (if it were me).