Front Hydraulic disk brake fail

woodland81
woodland81 Posts: 19
edited August 2018 in The workshop
Hello,

I always seem to have brake issues, every bike I get.

I took it away to the lakes last week, I took the front wheel off and loaded it into my car this way. When i returned i quickly put the wheel back on and not ridden it. I noticed that the wheel wasnt flowing freely.

Boardman mx comp hybrid - Avid DB1 hydraulic disc

Today I took it off, pushed the pistons back, returned pads and wheel etc, same issue.

Tried again and with the pads in, brake level pushed the pistons out put did not retract. removed the pads pushed back, tried the lever and pistons come out but dont return.

Pushed back again now ive lost all lever pressure, i know probably my fault from trying to get the pistons to work correctly.

I need advice on how to resolve it.

I did notice when adding the wheel back on , just for storage time. the cable coming from the caliper to the break leaver at end could feel some oil. Is bleeding them and refilling with oil now what is required? Never attempted anything like that before.

I always seem to make things worse when trying to sort out when brakes are rubbing.

I think the bike is sulking because I have ordered a new boardman carbon road bike

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    When you took the wheel off is there any chance you pulled the brake lever? Without something to push against (i.e. the disc rotor) it can completely upset the pistons and hydro pressure. New bikes/brakes often come with plastic blanks to clamp into the brake calipers to prevent this.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • woodland81 wrote:
    I need advice on how to resolve it... I always seem to make things worse when trying to sort out when brakes are rubbing.
    Sounds like the phrase "local bike shop" could well be in your interest here.
  • Hopefully OP has sorted this out since March, given the first reply was this afternoon. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Hopefully OP has sorted this out since March, given the first reply was this afternoon. ;)
    Hadn't spotted that :mrgreen:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hopefully OP has sorted this out since March, given the first reply was this afternoon. ;)
    Hadn't spotted that :mrgreen:

Whoops!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.