Mounting a handheld camcorder to bike

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
I would quite like to mount an 8-year-old camcorder that belonged to my father in law on my road bike to shoot club rides etc.

The version is a handheld with flip-out screen and I very seldom use it: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/p ... sd9-page-2

It would be a bit big and ungainly – and unsafe, I suppose – to have it on my head.

Has anyone fixed one of these up to their bike? Any tips on how to do it?

It is probably a case of improvising rather than buying in a solution.

I am not sure I care much if it gets trashed at some point.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    We hired a video recorder years ago at Centre Parcs and wrapped it in a towel and strapped it to the back of the carrier.
    Nowadays it's all go pro's.

Can't see your camera - link isnt working for me - but if its heavy I'd be wary of putting it on the bars.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Personally, I wouldn't bother. A smart phone would do a better job these days. As you say, it is big and bulky and the technology 8 years old. Editing software may not even be compatible.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I'm not sure I would bother if I were you. It would probably be very unstable, add a lot of weight to the 'cockpit' and the vibrations from riding would probably mean it will be unwatchable. Plus if it starts to rain, I doubt it's waterproof.

Plus you'll be a laughing stock on club rides!

If you want a cheap option for filming, there are numerous budget action cameras out there, all purpose built for riding. You don't have to spend GoPro money on one.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I got a gopro knockoff for £50, waterproof casing and mounts included. Image stabilisation is good, adjusts to lighting conditions OK, lots of video modes.
    Problem is all the footage is incredibly dull. Really very tedious footage. That's mountain biking and road cycling and some other sports. Tough Mudder worked well with an edit to bring the footage down to 4 minutes or so and I've got some underwater stuff with the children which is nice. I would actually like to see someone strap your camera to a bike just for the hell of it though :-)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The quality will be poor compared to today's standards and that's without taking into account the vibration which is likely to render it unwatchable.

Buy a cheapie digital from Fleabay with a big memory card.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    Most cameras have a 1/4-20 threaded insert in the bottom, this is to mount to a tripod. Many sport camera mounting kits provide a clamp mount that adapts to a 1/4-20 stud (Check Amazon). This should do it for you.

The camera you show seems quite heavy, it may not stay aligned when you hit bumps. I ride with either a Cycliq Fly-12 and/or a GoPro. These hare full 1080 high def and very light,