Saddle recommendations

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I did the weekend at Cannock Chase on the new bike build. Lot of fun albeit the conditions were far from ideal.

Bike was awesome, one minor issue the saddle I bought is horrendously uncomfortable. I don't really worry that much about it, but this thing was pretty unbearable day 2!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... prod139274

Any recommendations for something better that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Got a decent LBS? Go and get your sit bones measured and let them provide you with some trial saddles for a period (most good LBSs do this).

The alternative method is to buy a Charge Spoon (£15 ish) as this works for 80% of people* and if it doesn't then start the painful business of buying and selling until you find one that does.

*emperical, internet evidence number, not necessarily real.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I've got the fabric scoop radius saddle and it's absolutely brilliant, I had the same problem with my stock saddle and was recommended the scoop so went for that, they have different profiles depending on riding position but the radius is more focused on comfort and it certainly is, highly recommend but that being said I didn't try any others in the process, straight from stock to the scoop.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Loads of people will say the Charge Spoon. I haven't personally had one, but had very comfy saddles in the WTB Volt and Brand X Trail Saddle from CRC.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    It is unlikely that there is one saddle that is comfortable for everyone since human arses are different.
    . Only way is to try for your self.
    My input is that I ride on specialized saddles as they have a hollow along the central which suits me, this is opposite to selle Italian that are convex I. E. Raised along certain those killed me.
  • I had a charge spoon, which i fell off and broke, i then plumped for the £40 fabric scoop. Im happy as a pig in ****.

Comfy enough for day long rides and cheap enough to not worry about replacing if i need to.
  • slc123
    Thanks guys, like the look of the volt and the spoon. Both seem a very good price too.
  • slc123
    I’ve decided to go for the charge spoon. Managed to get a stealth black one which looks pretty cool! Hopefully it will be as comfortable as all the reviews!