Benefits of a hybrid or flat bar for commute?

daveconn41
daveconn41 Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Probably a bit of a reverse of the norm, but I've started cycling to work (after not riding a bike since a paper round) on an old Peugeot bike - I swapped in a stem adapter and more modern drop bars and brakes to try and improve it and try riding on the hoods. I'm enjoying the commute, but I'd like a bike that doesn't feel like it's falling apart (had loads of issues like wheel jamming on the frame, it has downtube shifters, etc).

My ride to work right now is 4 miles down the Bristol/Bath cycle path (so an easy ride but a bit intense on occasion with people overtaking stupidly.) I'm going to be doing 15 mins through the city after summer. Everyone I've spoken to tends to recommend flat bars and a hybrid, but I quite like riding in a relaxed way on the hoods.

My question is - am I going to regret something like a btwin triban 540 for this purpose, or any road bike, rather than something more suited? The Triban 540 seems to have really high specs vs price that I can''t find a competitive flat bar hybrid that seems to come close. I don't particulaly want to race, I'd like to go on day bimbles with my partner, but commuting will be daily and other use will be maybe once a year

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    A road bike does seem overkill for a 4 mile ride but tbh, if you're comfortable then go for it.

Else how hilly is your route? A single speed may be a better option maintenance wise?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A flat bar us good for a more upright position, which makes it easier to see and be seen. I find shoulder checking on a flat bar easier than on drops. I also tend to be less stiff after commutes in an upright position.

A flat bar would suit canals and short city rides. The question is, if you only want to have one bike, what cycling will you do at weekends or other times?

If you want to do long road rides then you would be better with a drop bar road bike.
  • A road bike does seem overkill for a 4 mile ride but tbh, if you're comfortable then go for it.

Else how hilly is your route? A single speed may be a better option maintenance wise?

I have the overkill concern too, the problem is I really have no clue what I'm talking about :) I don't feel uncomfortable on my frankensteined 80's bike position wise, but it's probably not a good choice for actually being confident. I just go slower than the majority of people and let them pass safely, which obviously isn't a selling point for drop bars!

The route is all slightly downhill there, all slightly uphill back. Bristol is the land of hill though, and a single speed sounds a bit intimidating.
    mrfpb wrote:
    A flat bar us good for a more upright position, which makes it easier to see and be seen. I find shoulder checking on a flat bar easier than on drops. I also tend to be less stiff after commutes in an upright position.

A flat bar would suit canals and short city rides. The question is, if you only want to have one bike, what cycling will you do at weekends or other times?

If you want to do long road rides then you would be better with a drop bar road bike.

At the moment in all honesty I probably won't use it - I am enjoying riding to work, but I came to it because it's a 20 minute cycle and then shower at work or an hour on the bus.

I think one thing I've found is that road bikes are easier to compare specs on - the hybrid I found that seemed spec for spec with a Triban 540 was a Cannondale Quick which was £1000, which is overkill! Maybe I'm just aiming too high spec?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you want a flat bar hybrid, look seriously at the Boardman Hybrid Team. £700 but if you wait a while a 10% off promotion will come along and if you join British Cycling you will get a further 10% off, bringing it below £600. Its an awesome bike, really fun to ride. It comes with hydraulic discs too - which you wont get for this kind of money on a drop bar bike and which are essential for commuting around traffic in my opinion.

But the whole drop bar/flat bar debate actually has nothing to do with how upright you sit and how comfortable the bike is - that is simply down to the geometry of the bike - they can both position your hands in pretty much the same place if you choose. The advantage to the drop bar bike is that you have a comfortable position (on the hoods/flats) but also a lower, more aero position on the drops. If you arent riding in the drops then there shouldnt really be any difference in position between the two types of bars for you - assuming either would be set up in the proper position for your body.

Flat bars are generally a bit wider, giving you more leverage, and arguably give you a more optimal force on the brakes as braking from the hoods is usually a compromise. As I said, you can also get hydraulic discs which are just sooo much better for the same money too. Get bar ends and you have multiple hand holds just like with drop bars, although none of them will be as low as the drops themselves.

I would suggest riding a few before buying if you are going ahead - finding one which fits you is more important than the type of bars.
  • As a fellow Bristol commuter who knows the B2B cycle path well, can I suggest a look at the Pinnacle Neon 3 from Evans. I personally ride a drop bar bike for my commute from North Bristol across town but that's because I also use it for longer rides at the weekend. If I was just using a bike for a commute I'd be very tempted to go for a light-ish flat barred road bike. Add in some bar ends and you've got plenty of hand positions plus a nice body position for urban riding as well as decent gearing for the path and good, reliable hydraulic discs.

I've just bought a Neon 2 for my daughter and was impressed by the service from the Evans branch in Bristol as well as the quality of the bike for the money. Had a look in the other ususal bike shops in Bristol and the Pinnacle range offer a good bang for your buck.
  • http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 4cm-frames for £720 with British Cycling discount has to be easily the best spec flat bar under £1k at ~9Kg.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 4cm-frames isn't a bad bike either for £630 with BC discount at ~10Kg.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tufa
    Tufa Posts: 21
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/hy ... k2EALw_wcB Check this as well. I have one, got it for £699 instead of £1k, Tiagra set, hydraulic disc brakes, it is fast but still comfortable..
    An additional £50 off with SAVE50 on rutland, over £500.