Best road tyres for summer.

ollaay
ollaay Posts: 166
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice on the best road tyres, ideally will be ridden in the dry most of the time have good puncture protection and to roll fairly fast. Not looking for a race as such tyre just something to last all those summer miles to come. :D

Some options such as;

GP4000s ii - but come up wide and ideally id want 25c.

Pirelli P Zero

Schwalbe One

S Works Turbo

Or vittorias? Haven't read much up about them.

Any others?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty much any the high end offerings from any the major brands will do the job.
  • ollaay
    Imposter wrote:
    Pretty much any the high end offerings from any the major brands will do the job.
    Nice one cheers, guess its personal preference.
    Need to find one thats 25c that comes up true to size.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Schwalbe One have been great for me. Fast, easy to fit, decent puncture resistance, grip well, accurately sized and relatively cheap, sometimes really cheap in the sales.
  • ollaay
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Schwalbe One have been great for me. Fast, easy to fit, decent puncture resistance, grip well, accurately sized and relatively cheap, sometimes really cheap in the sales.
    Nice one, haven't had good experiences in the past with the ultremos etc a few years ago but these sound good!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Imposter wrote:

I'd agree with that and so does the bike tire expert:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

As you can see by the stats all the tires listed have similar rolling and puncture resistance. Buy whichever ones you can find cheapest!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There puncture test may seem objective but may not and don't think it does reflect how well tyres resist sharp stuff on the road. Based on there tests I should get good life from tyres that I didn't and shorter life from tyres that did well time and time again. So buying the cheapest is one way of selecting a tyre but they are not all the same. If that was the case I could buy the cheapest tyres for my car and be done with it but it turns out the cheapest can be rubbish. Expensive can be rubbish too. You have try and see what works for you.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I would also say based in your criteria i would go for a set of vittoria corsa g plus. I get a spring and summer out of a set with very few punctures. With latex tubes they roll nice and smooth, look really good and are reasonably good from a rolling resistance perspective. Braking/handling in the wet always been good for me.
    Ive moved to Michelin Power Comp this year, but thats just because i wanted a faster tyre. In the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago they were slipping everywhere. Good weather days only and will be swapping back to Corsa's.
  • ollaay
    w00dster wrote:
    I would also say based in your criteria i would go for a set of vittoria corsa g plus. I get a spring and summer out of a set with very few punctures. With latex tubes they roll nice and smooth, look really good and are reasonably good from a rolling resistance perspective. Braking/handling in the wet always been good for me.
    Ive moved to Michelin Power Comp this year, but thats just because i wanted a faster tyre. In the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago they were slipping everywhere. Good weather days only and will be swapping back to Corsa's.
    Will look into them, they have good reviews aswell. Settling between this, s works and the pirellis now..
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    GP 4000 S is the safe choice, and they have disc on the wiggle. Bought a pair recently and they are massively better than my previous Vittoria Zaffyro pro slick.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Veloflex 25mm Corsa / Master. On all my summer bikes, love them.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pirelli P zero are nice. grippier than 4000s in all conditions and roll about the same. vittorias as well.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I put on Vittoria Graphenes towards end of last season (and have not started this season yet...) and really happy with them so far. Good grip and feel, no punctures.

https://www.vittoria.com/news/vittorias-2016-graphene-tire-range/
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Schwalbe One's are my favourite, reasonably inexpensive when on offer.
  • Michelin Pro4 Endurance
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'm a big fan of the S-works Turbo
  • ollaay
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pirelli P zero are nice. grippier than 4000s in all conditions and roll about the same. vittorias as well.
    Running them in 23 or 25s?
  • Are you racing or just out cycling? I use Vittoria Zaffario always. They're hands down the best value for money tyre you can get. They just last, and last and last.
  • ollaay
    blueshorts wrote:
    Are you racing or just out cycling? I use Vittoria Zaffario always. They're hands down the best value for money tyre you can get. They just last, and last and last.
    Will be racing in the summer yea, have another bike I can train on in the rain etc :D
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    blueshorts wrote:
    Are you racing or just out cycling? I use Vittoria Zaffario always. They're hands down the best value for money tyre you can get. They just last, and last and last.

They are HORRIBLE! i much prefer continental ultra sport II than those. A good tyre its not all about to last, but also grip rolling resistance and comfort.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ollaay wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

one of each :)
  • ollaay
    philbar72 wrote:
    ollaay wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

one of each :)
    Just ordered the pirellis £30 each :D
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I think I'm nudging towards the Pirelli's if only to help me in my mission to get my bike all Italian (yes I know they're not made in Italy before anyone pipes up) :D
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    For me, the best summer tyres are those with a 320tpi cotton carcass and nice sticky rubber, my absolute favourite tyre is the now discontinued Vittoria Corsa SC with latex tubes.

Corsa G+ is a nice tyre but not quite as nice as the SC.

S Works Turbo Cotton is a Vittoria carcass with Specialized's own compound of rubber laid over, again a nice tyre.

Bontrager R4 320 is another Vittoria carcass with their own compound on.

Have a look around for some NOS Corsa CX too, sometimes available (it's not a cyclo-cross tyre as the name suggests).
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    Almost any tire from any of the major brands will be a winner! Tires have come a very long ways from just 10 years ago, and those tires were a huge improvement over the ones 20 years before that. I don't worry about what's best anymore, I just find a major brand model on a huge discount sale that has high reviews and buy it. I routinely get $40 to $75 tires for at least 50% off, a couple of brands like Pirelli, Continental and Specialized never or rarely reduce their tires by that much...at least here in the US but for some reason in the UK they do. Just last month I got a set of Schwalbe Marathons for a touring bike for 50% off the regular price; last year I got a set of Specialized Roubaix Pro for 1/2 price, while not real expensive tires they do feel really nice; year before last I got a set of Hutchinson Intensive 2 tires for 65% off; and years before that I got much more expensive tires for 75% off. I never pay more than $30 for a tire.

Bike Tires Direct currently does have the Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons tire on sale for $47.97 which is 40% off Conti's regular price. Nashbar has couple Hutchinson's on sale that sell normally for $56 to $69 for just $20 to $21 each; Performance Bike has a Michelin Pro4 Service tire on sale for 50% off. Just look around at different sites (even besides the ones that I mentioned) and you will be surprised what you can find especially at the end of the road bike season. Here is another list of good reduction sale tires: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/road-race-tyres/?o=5