Handlebar width - what would you do?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Best bike is a domane 5.9 frame/full ultegra. Love the isospeed seat post and want to improve the front end compliance just a little (it’s already ok-ish but compared to the back not so much). It didn’t have the Bontrager isozone handlebars when I got it so it’s currently set up with a pair of 42cm giant connect bars which are alright just.

Winter bike has 40cm Zipp sl70 fitted and I like that width for comfort. Also has a ShockStop stem which is awesome but weighs in at over 250g. I do have the option of swapping this onto the best bike for the spring/summer but at heart, I’m a lazy, lazy man!

So currently looking at two options on eBay. First is a 40cm aluminium isozone bar, second a 38cm carbon fibre isozone bar. The cf one clearly comes with added bling, not to mention the isozone pads on the drops too, but dropping another 2cm width plays on my mind a little. The auction for the carbon bars ends in 8 hours so I’d need to make my mind up. No rush for the aluminium ones, plus they’re not all that expensive new anyway. Also realise I have the option of putting Zipp bars on plus gel pads but the point about the isozone ones is that they’re shaped slightly to allow the pads to sit in the bar a little. I’ve never liked the gel pads when I’ve tried them before.

Comments

• johngti
    Never mind. The carbon bars are beyond what I’m willing to pay
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I have 42cm bars on my Felt winter bike (what it came with) and 40cm bars on my summer bikes. I think that is a huge difference and very noticeable and I prefer the 40s, but I can’t see the point in changing the bars on my winte bike to match, I am used to them and it really isn’t an issue.

However, you are (were) contemplating a carbon bar that is 38cm. Assuming all the bars are based on the same measurement criteria (Centre to Centre etc) then having a 42 and a 38 would be a massive difference. I assume you think 42cm bars are too wide? What about the 40cm bars? Spot on, or still too wide? If you prefer the 40s then I would buy another pair of 40s if you are going to change the 42s, but don’t buy a 38s unless you are sure they are right for you (having tried some). No point having another set of compromised fit bars, even if they are carbon. Better waiting for the correct size to come up and of course buyer beware with second hand carbon bars...

PP

p.s. I know you have pulled out of the purchase, but my comments are still valid if you search for another set.
  • johngti
    Yeah it’ll be another pair of 40cm bars. 38 would have just been too small - 40 feels great though!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Centre of shoulder to centre of shoulder.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.