Focus cayo prices

Kevinho
Kevinho Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,I fancy upgrading to a Focus Cayo and wondered why they seem to hold their price so well at about £600-800 for 2009 models.I know they generally have Ultegra group sets and carbon frames and forks but because of their relative old age would I be better off considering something newer?

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Kevinho wrote:
    Hi guys,I fancy upgrading to a Focus Cayo and wondered why they seem to hold their price so well at about £600-800 for 2009 models.I know they generally have Ultegra group sets and carbon frames and forks but because of their relative old age would I be better off considering something newer?

Well its not about ultegra actually but 11sp. 105 11sp is better than ultegra with 10.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    They weren't holding their value when I sold mine last year! Got £1250 for a 2015 Cayo 1.0 with full Dura Ace.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    Love mine! A great frame UCI approved. I got my Ultegra version for my 50th birthday in 2014. I loved the reviews including here on Bike Radar and v good value for money at the time. I paid £1850 which was competitive compared to similar bikes. Don’t see a huge number around and I get some nice comments about it too.
    I’ve kept everything standard apart from fitting some Mavic Kysrium Elites after the Fulcrum 5 rear wheel got damaged following a puncture descending from Col de Sarenne. These do the bike full justice.
    At the time I wanted a 52 front ring rather than a compact and my version came with this. I can’t see me selling mine as does everything I want. Good mix of everything.
    Keep looking kevinho and good luck with your search!
  • dstev55
    Love mine! A great frame UCI approved. I got my Ultegra version for my 50th birthday in 2014. I loved the reviews including here on Bike Radar and v good value for money at the time. I paid £1850 which was competitive compared to similar bikes. Don’t see a huge number around and I get some nice comments about it too.
    I’ve kept everything standard apart from fitting some Mavic Kysrium Elites after the Fulcrum 5 rear wheel got damaged following a puncture descending from Col de Sarenne. These do the bike full justice.
    At the time I wanted a 52 front ring rather than a compact and my version came with this. I can’t see me selling mine as does everything I want. Good mix of everything.
    Keep looking kevinho and good luck with your search!

I wish I'd kept mine to be honest but I literally didn't have room for another bike and it was a little too aggressive for me so I struggled with back and neck pain on longer rides. It was a superb climbing bike though and for short training rides or a bit of climbing in the peak district it was fantastic. Mine weighed 7.0kg with pedals and circa 1500g wheels, cracking bike.
  • Kevinho
    Kevinho Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies guys,I take it yours was brand new at the time molteni Man.My other choice was a Cannonade super six evo all carbon much newer similar spec at around £1000 -£1500,again any views on this bike.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    Hi again. Yes mine was a new purchase. Focus always seem to good deals on older stock. Here’s an example
    https://www.jejamescycles.com/focus-cay ... gKvGPD_BwE

Great value!
    I have always liked the Super Six too. Never owned but have ridden and great fun.
    BW
  • dstev55
    Hi again. Yes mine was a new purchase. Focus always seem to good deals on older stock. Here’s an example
    https://www.jejamescycles.com/focus-cay ... gKvGPD_BwE

Great value!
    I have always liked the Super Six too. Never owned but have ridden and great fun.
    BW

Likewise I got my top spec Cayo for £1900 when it had an RRPof £3k. A lot of bike for £1900.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    You could consider an Izalco too, basically the same bike with the same geometry with a lower headtube. I had both (still have the Izalco) and setup the same I couldn't really tell the difference other than the Cayo being a bit heavier.