Boost fork

pete112
pete112 Posts: 8
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
I have some hope non boost hubs on a rochshox recon silver fork with 62mm tyre clearance and 15 x 100 maxle.

I need some more tyre clearance as the fork crown is getting constantly clogged up with mud.

Is there any conversion kit for a boost fork with 110 x 15 maxle to work with non boost hubs or can anyone suggest a standard 120mm fork with better clearance.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Boost will make the forks wider, but not longer, so you'll still have the same issues.

Depending on which Hope hubs they are, they make adaptors.

Seems a bit of a drastic move for a bit of mud. Why not try some narrower proper mud tyres?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I have seen adapters to fit 100mn hub into a boost fork you would obviously need the longer maxle but the brake disc will be in by 5mm so you may need some adapter to move the calliper, if you are lucky, the slots in the calliper may be enough.

But it is far cheaper to fit narrower tyres.

There are two approaches.
    1.wide tyre to float over the mud
    2.narrow tyre to cut through the mud to the solid ground below.

I subscribe to view 2, see my posts about mud tyres, albeit it was 26 in.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^^ah, you want more tyre to fork crown clearance, then boost won't help. You would need to measure up different forks, but the crown is as low as possible to add strength to the fork lowers.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What tyres are you currently running, pete112?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • pete112
    pete112 Posts: 8
    JBA wrote:
    What tyres are you currently running, pete112?

Minion Dhf wide trail.

I was running 2.25 ardents but changed to flow mk3 rims on hope hubs so thought I would get something wider with better grip.

The wheels and tyres feel great apart from the fork crown getting clogged up with mud more than before.

I may try a close fitting mudguard to see if that scrapes the majority of the mud off before hitting the fork. Could make things better or worse but will be cheaper