Winter weather - Beast from the East

13»

Comments

• oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited March 2018
    Not looking forward to this weekend's promised reprise. There was only about three or four inches here, in Cambridgeshire, though about four feet piled up in ditches and against hedges here and there. I work in Cambridge as a cycle courier, and it was a pretty unpleasant week, as most side roads weren't gritted and soon turned into rutted sheet ice. If I say that manoeuvring a heavily laden cargo bike on those surfaces, particularly on the Thursday, when it was windy too, was "tricky" it would be something of an understatement. On the plus side you do get a mixture of admiration and sympathy from the people you're delivering to, so you end up feeling mildly heroic. No crashes, by the way, so maybe I have better bike handling skills than I thought.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    East Coast, from Scotland down to Kent does look like getting a covering, bitterly cold. Not quite as cold as last time but not far off. Not as long lived though.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bendertherobot
    This one does have some potential in the E/S/SE. Could actually be quite disruptive.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Went out cycling round the lanes yesterday afternoon. Quite shocked to see pockets of snow still piled up from last time. :shock:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Just managed to make a very passable abominable snowman, with me in the middle of it. Neighbour thinks it is a bit cold for cycling, the snowflake.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Thought I would go out on the roads today but a fairly heavy duty flurry at 7 this morning forced me onto the turbo

Snow has completely vanished now so maybe out for a ride tomorrow
  • bendertherobot
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Thought I would go out on the roads today but a fairly heavy duty flurry at 7 this morning forced me onto the turbo

Snow has completely vanished now so maybe out for a ride tomorrow

I braved it, just about. 10 mile massive speeds, turned back, 10 mile crawl.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,119
    Newport Half called off again :(
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Well, those 10 years seemed to just fly by.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Snowing biggly here so no bike. Again. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Anyone else heard long range predictions of more to come over Easter?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    No I haven't. What year was it when cold weather persisted right up until May, 4 or 5 years ago was it? I was hoping we didn't get a repeat of that for a while but it is beginning to feel the same way again.
  • pblakeney
    Pross wrote:
    I have little faith in accurate forecasting.
    However, a work colleague showed me a long range forecast at the start of January that predicted cold (generally below teens) until the end of June. Before you scoff, it also predicted the snow.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    I'm glad I got off to a decent start in my marathon training as I'm losing long run opportunities at the moment.
  • Pross
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    However, a work colleague showed me a long range forecast at the start of January that predicted cold (generally below teens) until the end of June. Before you scoff, it also predicted the snow.

I remember a heavy snowfall on the last weekend of March in 2013 but can't remember anything later than that.

I'm dubious of anything over about 2 weeks in advance. Every summer and winter you get predictions of record highs / lows / rainfall / snow so eventually one will be right.
  • Pross
    Deleted. Site going nuts again!
  • pblakeney
    Pross wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I remember a heavy snowfall on the last weekend of March in 2013 but can't remember anything later than that.

I'm dubious of anything over about 2 weeks in advance. Every summer and winter you get predictions of record highs / lows / rainfall / snow so eventually one will be right.
    Agreed. But this forecast was not predicting extremes of anything. (I don't consider snow in February to be extreme although we did get an unusual amount). It was predicting constant cold. Which is unusual.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Agreed. But this forecast was not predicting extremes of anything. (I don't consider snow in February to be extreme although we did get an unusual amount). It was predicting constant cold. Which is unusual.

it feels like its been cold for a long long time this autumn,winter and now spring...getting fed up of it now to be brutally honest, weve had cold snaps before, and even snow but its usually been one or two weeks of it being bad and then thats it, normally by now everyones moaning about how mild the winter has been and early spring has been etc
  • Pross
    I don't feel like it has been that cold, I'd say the amount of mornings scraping ice off my windscreen have been fairly typical. It just seems that March has been unusually cold although most of last week was mild.