Chris King Headset alternatives ??

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
Morning All,

I need good quality and reliable headset, but don't want to pay £150 really...(to install in Surly Disc Trucker frame)

Whats other options out there ?

What about Cane Creek 40 (as I cannot see any S3 anymore) - any good ?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    kinioo wrote:
    Morning All,

I need good quality and reliable headset, but don't want to pay £150 really...(to install in Surly Disc Trucker frame)

Whats other options out there ?

What about Cane Creek 40 (as I cannot see any S3 anymore) - any good ?

Thanks,

Chris

Cane Creek 40 was my initial choice for my new bike build, but couldn't find the right config readily available. I ended up going cheaper and got the Nukeproof headset, which gives you quite a lot of config options. So far I am really happy with it. Looks good and performs well. http://nukeproof.com/products/headsets/

The other option is http://www.hopetech.com/product/picknmix-headsets/ - Renowned for quality but still quite expensive.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Nearly always run a hope head set,they are good quality well sealed and last,only had a Chris King once that came on a secondhand frame i bought,and yes it was noticeably smoother but I would expect that being twice the price of a hope one
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Hope would be the obvious alternative.

That said I've never had headset issues apart from when I've had to buy new bits changing frames.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    another vote for hope, my mega has a hope bottom part and a cheap one on top not had any issue with either to be honest but both hope pick n mix headset should be around 60 quid.

Just reminded me to have a look and by the matching top part of the headset.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    +1 for Hope.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris