4iiii power meter upgrade

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
All,

I have been running the 105 single sided 4iiii PM for a month and really like it. That said, I kinda wish I went straight for the dual sided option immediately as I'm sure my leg discrepancy is quite off. I have heard you can upgrade to right as well by supplying your crank to them?

Has anyone done this and how much was it? Their site is for US folk, so I'm hoping this is offered in UK as well. Failing that, I am happy to consider buying new crank with PM already fitted.

Thanks,

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Does it actually matter to you that much? Just about everybody has one leg stronger than the other. If you're right footed, its probably your left standing foot. There are articles out there suggesting that you do more damage to your form trying to correct an imbalance than just carrying on. I can vary between 46/54 to 49/51 ride to ride, but I don't notice any difference in the way I'm pedalling and I never make any mental or physical effort to correct any imbalance.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    chatlow wrote:
    All,

I have been running the 105 single sided 4iiii PM for a month and really like it. That said, I kinda wish I went straight for the dual sided option immediately as I'm sure my leg discrepancy is quite off. I have heard you can upgrade to right as well by supplying your crank to them?

Has anyone done this and how much was it? Their site is for US folk, so I'm hoping this is offered in UK as well. Failing that, I am happy to consider buying new crank with PM already fitted.

Thanks,

If you do have an imbalance then the power readings from the 4iiii crank arm pm will be giving accurate reading for your left leg but in reality that will be higher or lower than your total output. However don't forget if you know what the usual difference between legs is you can account for it by adjusting the 4iiii in the app.

The dual sided podiiiium has only just started shipping. I'm not sure if the dual sided precision model will continue or be phased out by this as the podium is supposed to be much more reliable and advanced (at least that what 4iiii told me at the end of last year).

If you do try to upgrade your existing pm to dual sided you either have to send your crankset to Canada or buy one direct from there. Just don't forget to include taxes and customs charges when calculating costs.
  • Realistically, what are you going to do about it if the 4iii does show your LLD? It's not like you can do much about it, other than experiment with cleat shims etc. I'd save your cash and try find a gym with a Wattbike or similar to satisfy your curiosity, then move on.

FWIW, I have an Infocrank measuring true L/R. I've known for 20 years or so I've got an LLD, and the cranks highlight this with 10% bias readings to my left leg. It used to cause me a lot of issues with Illiotibial Band Syndrome with my right leg over-reaching to compensate for my longer left leg, and skewing my pelvis, which in-turn aggravated my ITB.
  • chatlow
    It is a bit of an issue because shortly after buying the PM, I found that my left knee pain is due to a torn meniscus - so will be down on that side before, during and after surgery.

I'm not going through the hassle of shipping that far, so will make do.

Out of curiosity - have any smart trainer users (I have the Tacx Vortex) found the trainer to show a higher reading than the PM's they have fitted?

My 4iiii tends to be around 20-30 watts lower than my Tacx when I'm at my ftp. Knee it would be off but didnt think it would be that much
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    chatlow wrote:
    It is a bit of an issue because shortly after buying the PM, I found that my left knee pain is due to a torn meniscus - so will be down on that side before, during and after surgery.

Out of curiosity - have any smart trainer users (I have the Tacx Vortex) found the trainer to show a higher reading than the PM's they have fitted?

My 4iiii tends to be around 20-30 watts lower than my Tacx when I'm at my ftp. Knee it would be off but didnt think it would be that much

Temperature discrepancy? It doesn't matter though as long as your training to the level of that power meter in use, if that makes sense. Train to your TACX power indoors and the 4iiii outdoors.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • chatlow
    philthy3 wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Temperature discrepancy? It doesn't matter though as long as your training to the level of that power meter in use, if that makes sense. Train to your TACX power indoors and the 4iiii outdoors.

I tested this with my elemnt showing the 4iiii power and Zwift showing the Tacx power. Held what I had previously thought was 220 watts for sometime and it was the 4iiii that was down at around 180-190 average. Maybe the Tacx is very kind and I'm a lot weaker than I had hoped :D

I did think about using Tacx for indoor and 4iiii for outdoor, but in my head the best, most accurate result will be to have 4iiii for both?