WILIER TRIESTINA DD28 Wheel Upgrade advice

DefUnctUK
DefUnctUK Posts: 38
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I recently got a new Wilier Jareen gravel bike - it's been excellent so far, however i have been thinking about upgrading the wheels. The ones it came with are WILIER TRIESTINA DD28 (which seem to have been made by Jalco) - when swapping tyres over, i weighed them and they came in at around 2.45kg, which is pretty heavy (weighed with rotors / cassette and subtracted their posted weights).

I can't seem to find much info regarding these wheels (internal / external width), i measured the exterior width and got approx 27mm (i assume based on their name that it might be 28mm). I am currently looking at the Hunt wheels:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-disc-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

What sort of difference will a few mm rim width make? I forgot to measure interior width of the DD28s when changing tyres but assume the difference would be similar?

Also, does anyone happen to have any suggestions for wheels that have 12x100mm front and QR/135 rear please? :-)

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The Hunts are a decent wheelset - the external width of those you linked to are 25mm, and internal 20mm, which they claim are good for anything from 25mm to 50mm(!) tyres. I have the Aero version, slightly deeper rim (27mm) but slightly less wide in the width (Ex23 Int17), which they say is good for 25-45mm tyres, plus they are slightly lighter.

I think Hunt will also provide the relevant hubs that you need as well (QR and TA)
  • DefUnctUK
    s. I have the Aero version, slightly deeper rim (27mm) but slightly less wide in the width (Ex23 Int17), which they say is good for 25-45mm tyres, plus they are slightly lighter.

Thanks, was looking at the aero version too, however was not sure about the smaller inner width (although i think i would rarely have tyres larger than 45mm on the bike).
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Try to rememebr 90's XC riders rode on 17mm internal width rims and 52mm tyres and we survived.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DefUnctUK
    Try to rememebr 90's XC riders rode on 17mm internal width rims and 52mm tyres and we survived.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I must say i also like the look of your BORG22 Disc wheelset (the Bitex hubs look good).