Specialized Tricross 2010 front brake part

ArthurGW
ArthurGW Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I've recently got a new old Specialized Tricross Sport 2010 with cantilever brakes (in bits). It's missing the bolt and receptor that attaches the front brake cable hanger and L-shaped adapter to the fork crown. None of my LBSs can get hold of one, and all modern ones seem to be just a fraction too big.

You can download the manual that shows the part I mean at https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tricross-sport/p/35200.

So does anyone have an old one of these lying around and is willing to give up the part? For money? Even better if anyone kept the spare parts when they changed to v-brakes...

Cheers,
Arthur

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    You can get a complete new Tektro CR70 brake for under £20 posted.
  • ArthurGW
    trek_dan wrote:
    You can get a complete new Tektro CR70 brake for under £20 posted.

True, but it might have the same issue of the bolt not fitting into my frame.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Either email Specialized for the part if not the specs of the part then go to your local fastner supplier and see if they have a bolt or a piece of stud so you can make one.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    You could always omit the L shaped crown adapter and put on a standard cable hanger. Most bikes with carbon forks are setup this way as there is no hole in the steerer tube.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    trek_dan wrote:
    You could always omit the L shaped crown adapter and put on a standard cable hanger. Most bikes with carbon forks are setup this way as there is no hole in the steerer tube.
    Supposedly Specialized attached the cable stop to the fork crown as they found the cause of brake judder was the length of cable from the upper stop was too long, something to do with the forks flexing slightly under braking affecting the brake I was told. By attaching the stop lower so there was more cable outer it reduced the juddering problem. If that's true it would affect larger frame sizes more. May be BS but that's what I was told when I was looking for a bike at the time. One bike I tried with carbon forks had judder so bad I couldn't use the front brake, the shop tried to fix it a couple of times to no avail so I went elsewhere and ended up with a Kona Jake. There were a few bikes on sale at the time that seemed to suffer similar issues as I recall Can't remember exactly when it was, probably around 2010.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I've got this

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/rale ... le-hanger/

If the supplied bolt shank diameter is too bi (it was for my forks) then you can just buy a standard bolt that is thread full length.
  • ArthurGW
    Thanks for all the advice people :D
    robertpb wrote:
    Either email Specialized for the part if not the specs of the part then go to your local fastner supplier and see if they have a bolt or a piece of stud so you can make one.

I'm gonna go to my LFS right now and see what they've got, shame one of their stores burnt to the ground recently. Hmm.

Also emailed Specialized about it, so I'll see if they say anything on Monday.
    I've got this

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/raleigh-front-brake-cable-hanger</span>/

If the supplied bolt shank diameter is too bi (it was for my forks) then you can just buy a standard bolt that is thread full length.

That part might be ideal if I can't get the bolt, still could have problems with fitting but we'll see. Couldn't find anyone selling one myself so cheers!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    ArthurGW wrote:
    That part might be ideal if I can't get the bolt, still could have problems with fitting but we'll see. Couldn't find anyone selling one myself so cheers!

I just bought some bolts from an online fastener company (I think I used Kayfast, but can't recall for definite). If you do go this route then I recommend nyloc nuts.

Uphangers definitely work and remove judder. I do find shouldering the bike a bit more of a pain as I prefer to wrap my arm around the headtube, rather than under the downtube.