BSO Singlespeed???

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited March 2018 in Road general
As this isn't a £3k 600g carbon/953 steel/6AVl-4V Ti frameset I'm guessing it's beyond the expertise of most of you lot but anyone got a clue about low end singlespeed bikes? Who sells this sort of thing and how much for?

It has a flip flop hub and weighs the same as a medium sized family car.

Nothing on the frame other than a sticker claiming it's BS standard (worrying that it has to say that.....).

There are a few logos on the components though:

Headset cap (so stem?): neco
Hubs: Quando
Tyres: MTraxx
Chainset: Prowheel chariot
Brake levers: Alhonga

e03iid.jpg

Comments

• londoncommuter
    edited February 2018
    Answering my own question, looks very much like this with the bars swapped:

http://www.feralbmx.com/bikes/fixie-yellow/

Possibly bought one in haste.....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Interesting angle on the bars there. A friends son has something similar but with deep alloy rims and aero looking bladed forks made of girders. I can ask where he bought it although it sounds like it's to late for you.
  • Looks like Sigma don't have stock but thankfully Halfords and Argos do! The shame.

Panicked with the snow and a dead freehub on my commuter and thought a "bargain" singlespeed could be handy but I'm not sure I can cope with an Argos bike in the house....
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Well the beauty of a singlespeed is that they need basically zero maintenance. I ride mine day-in-day-out with zero input and it never gives me grief. If you're using it for commuting and leaving it locked up outside then I'd see the cheapness as a benefit in that it makes it less attractive to steal and cheaper to replace if it does get taken.

If you flip that stem over and sort out the bars/saddle height then you might have something that starts to resemble an actual bike!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'm amazed, not only did I remember to ask my mate where he got the one for his son I can even remember the answer in spite of being in a pub and drinking beer at the time. He said he thinks it was called Hackney Cycles and they had a really clunky looking website. Bike was delivered by a shouty Chinese guy.
  • londoncommuter
    Needs new rim tape and some road shifters though. I hadn't realised just how cheap they were so am in two minds whether it's worth spending anything on. The seller will take it back. What do you reckon?

Was hoping to cadge some shifters but no luck so far:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13089926
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You could easily pick up a pair of road brake levers such as the Tektro RL340's for £10-15 on eBay or similar; put those on with some new bar tape and you'd be sorted.

But it sounds like you're already not very happy with it, so only you can decide really...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Brake cable gaffer taped to top tube?

All single speed wheelsets seem to weigh 2.5kg also for some reason