GX Eagle Shifter: Killed

jacksoneaker
jacksoneaker Posts: 60
edited March 2018 in MTB general
Just wanted to share the gx eagle shifter I smashed on preride at last weekends race. Super exciting race to get to the nearest bike shop with one in stock. (90 Miles, got there 2 minutes after closing)

I hit a concealed root, totally went over the bars, and handlebars jammed into the ground on the shifter side. Everything was totally fine, except for the shifter. (Why didn’t my brake get hurt?)

I know this is not a specific issue with eagle, and I still love my set up, but wanted to share.

RfGoEOv.jpg

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Well you know the rule, the more expensive the component, the more likely it is to be damaged in a crash.

Don't get why a 12 speed shifter costs loads more than a 11which in turn cost more than a 10, difference is number of notches for the ratchet to engage, can't be any more expensive or complicated to make, only marketing.
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I was going to say, at least they are not that expensive:
    £27.49

That is £2.50 cheaper than the 11 speed GX shifter :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Make sure your brake and gear lever clamps aren't over tight so if you go over the bars they'll move around to avoid breaking.

This is the thing i don't get the prices of bike parts 11 speed shimano cheaper than 10 etc doesnt make sense you'd think it would cost more unless bike shops over stock and have to sell some on offer.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    GlynRS2 wrote:
    I was going to say, at least they are not that expensive:
    £27.49

That is £2.50 cheaper than the 11 speed GX shifter :D

My bad, I thought this was top of the range xx., in which case it is small change.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Wait till you see the price of Road STI shifters... rip off central.
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    Gx is 40€!
    You can change them on monthly base.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Juraj1711 wrote:
    Gx is 40€!
    You can change them on monthly base.

Why? :roll:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    not literally...
    Point is that is cheap!