Summer Holiday

Tarmac8
Tarmac8 Posts: 8
edited March 2018 in Road general
Looking for ideas for a holiday in the summer (July-August). Based in the UK, wanting to go away for 7-10 days somewhere with good weather to get a fair bit of training in.

Only catch is I'm going with my girlfriend who doesn't cycle... so plan will be to get out early in the morning and back early enough to spend most of the day doing stuff with her. Was looking at Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Tenerife etc.. Didn't know if there were any better suggestions from anyone?

Comments

• sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Can recommend Majorca if you havn't been,Port de Pollenca is a great base to head out from either on your own or an organised ride, looked to be a nice beach area etc for non cycling partners :)
    Hope to head back myself in a few months for a short stay .
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Remember the further south you go the hotter it is going to be in July/ August. Quite possibly too hot for riding unless you get out and back really early...

I love the Algarve which is only 2.5hrs away, quiet roads and hill after hill inland from the coast and cheap as chips once you get away from the touristy resorts...

PP
  • Ive heard France is not too bad for cycling, and Italy
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Abruzzo.

She has brilliant beaches, towns, food and wine, you have the same plus Giro standard riding everywhere.

Stunning countryside and dirt cheap to boot.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    If you go to Mallorca I'd recommend Port de Soller above Port de Pollenca.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Mallorca would get my vote. Port de Pollensa or Port de Soller are both good choices. PdP would just shade it for me I think. PdS is lovely but uphill in every direction when you leave the town. I was going out for a couple of hours at 7am - weather was ideal and still back for breakfast and family duties - perfect.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Wherever she wants in Europe.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Annecy - the lake is warm enough to swim in, beautiful old city, great cycling in the area, each reach of Geneva.

Southern end of Lake Garda - lake to swim in, Verona close by, great ice cream! Boat trips up the lake. Venice doable in a day.

does the GF do any sport herself? eg running, hiking?
    Does she like beaches and pools only? or mountains and cities?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Wherever she wants in Europe.
    Very wise. You can ride wherever you end up and this way you know she'll be happy, at least if she isn't it's not your fault.
  • Croatia-Istra
    Beautiful roads,adriatic cost is so nice,awesome food...
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Abruzzo.

She has brilliant beaches, towns, food and wine, you have the same plus Giro standard riding everywhere.

+1! One of the "secrets" of Europe. Two great climbs, the Blockhaus and Gran Sasso. The Giro went up the Blockhaus last year and is going up Gran Sasso this year. Shout if you need more information...

Bear in mind anywhere in Europe could be really hot, 30 degrees or more. Climbing mountains gets very tough in these conditions, so you need to take a lot of water (although there are springs and taps on a lot of mountains in Europe. Fill your bottles from the flowing water, not the stagnant pools at the bottom) and be aware of what your body is saying to you. The first time I tried to climb the Blockhaus I had to stop 2/3 of the way up, I just couldn't ride any further. It was 30 degrees and my legs turned to jelly.
  • Tarmac8
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Does the GF do any sport herself? eg running, hiking?

No real sports, she likes going for walks. I think she also likes cities, or places with things to do rather than solely lay around the pool.

A holiday we had in Barcelona was great as we had the beach to lay around on if we were feeling lazy, as well as the city to explore if we weren't! So somewhere similar to that but with good cycling would be ideal...
  • mrb123
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Abruzzo.

+1! One of the "secrets" of Europe. Two great climbs, the Blockhaus and Gran Sasso. The Giro went up the Blockhaus last year and is going up Gran Sasso this year. Shout if you need more information...

Bear in mind anywhere in Europe could be really hot, 30 degrees or more. Climbing mountains gets very tough in these conditions, so you need to take a lot of water (although there are springs and taps on a lot of mountains in Europe. Fill your bottles from the flowing water, not the stagnant pools at the bottom) and be aware of what your body is saying to you. The first time I tried to climb the Blockhaus I had to stop 2/3 of the way up, I just couldn't ride any further. It was 30 degrees and my legs turned to jelly.

Any recommendations for the nicest towns to stay in Abruzzo? Would be looking at somewhere with good options for mountain walking and cycling, although a beach within a reasonable drive would be a bonus.

A quick Google brings up Sulmona which looks prettty nice but not sure how close that is to the decent cycling routes.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    MrB123 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Abruzzo.

Any recommendations for the nicest towns to stay in Abruzzo? Would be looking at somewhere with good options for mountain walking and cycling, although a beach within a reasonable drive would be a bonus.

A quick Google brings up Sulmona which looks prettty nice but not sure how close that is to the decent cycling routes.

Sulmona is beautiful, but probably an hour or more away from the beaches along the coast near Pescara. There is a lake you can swim in at Scanno which is 40 odd minutes away, and the mountains round there are beautiful. Plenty of good cycling and climbing near by.
    You could do two of the Blockhaus climbs from there, which start at Roccamorice and Lettomanopello, but you would be looking at around 130 km there and back, including a tough mountain climb. If you stayed in Sulmona you could go east to the beaches, or west to Rome for a couple of days.
    Send me a PM if you want more info, I have ridden to the mountains from the coast (100 km there and back) so have routes, and could plot you a route from Sulmona (or wherever) so you can see the total amount of climbing involved.
  • mrb123
    DaveP1 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Abruzzo.

Sulmona is beautiful, but probably an hour or more away from the beaches along the coast near Pescara. There is a lake you can swim in at Scanno which is 40 odd minutes away, and the mountains round there are beautiful. Plenty of good cycling and climbing near by.
    You could do two of the Blockhaus climbs from there, which start at Roccamorice and Lettomanopello, but you would be looking at around 130 km there and back, including a tough mountain climb. If you stayed in Sulmona you could go east to the beaches, or west to Rome for a couple of days.
    Send me a PM if you want more info, I have ridden to the mountains from the coast (100 km there and back) so have routes, and could plot you a route from Sulmona (or wherever) so you can see the total amount of climbing involved.

Thanks for that, very helpful. It's just an idea for a possible 2019 destination at the moment. We've got another trip to the Dolomites this summer to enjoy first.
  • mrb123
    Tarmac8 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Does the GF do any sport herself? eg running, hiking?

No real sports, she likes going for walks. I think she also likes cities, or places with things to do rather than solely lay around the pool.

A holiday we had in Barcelona was great as we had the beach to lay around on if we were feeling lazy, as well as the city to explore if we weren't! So somewhere similar to that but with good cycling would be ideal...

Have a look at Girona. Could be perfect for you.
  • Tarmac8 wrote:

Languedoc, SW France - we stayed near Montpelier, which is a really cool city, lots to see, historic parts, lots of street art, good spots to eat and drink. Mediterranean beaches just a short hop away. Flights not too dear to Montpelier airport. Pezenas to SW of Montpelier is a good spot to stay, good distance from beaches and from the city
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Matthewfalle
    MrB123 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Abruzzo.

Sulmona is slap bang in the middle of the mountains and cycling territory. Lovely medieval town, some nice restaurants and bars. Downside is that there is nothing immediately outside of Sulmona for her to do. Brilliant riding for you.

L'Aquila is there as well which is nice for a day but as it got hit by a couple of earthquakes it's still sorting itself out.

My house is 30 mins away from there so I know the area quite well.

I'd head onto the coast and stay in Pescara or one of the towns along the coast - Ironman Italia heads out of there so the riding, running is stunning, the sea is lovely and warm and safe, Pescara itself is lovely with great restaurants and bars and a lovely vibe to it all.

More inland, lots of small villages for day trips and gelato, heading down the coast lots of nice towns.

Have a view of that George Clooney film that was filmed in Castelvecchio - we are 5 minutes ride from there. Phukkk all to do but stunning.

Two main options - fly into Rome and motorway for 1 1/2 hours and you are in Sulmona and surrounding or EasyJet to Pescara.

Day trips include Gran Sasso for lunch and laughing at Il Duce's hiding place. Go to the heavy metal pizza man in Raiaino for the best pizza in Italy.

On the way back stay in The spa hotel in Ostia as it's freaking lovely and a ten minute drive from Fiumicino.

Shout if you need anything else.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Quick bit of Giro

http://www.abruzzoturismo.it/co.uk/inde ... in-abruzzo

Do a YouTube search - last stage there was a couple of years ago. It tends to go past my front door every couple of years. Loads of local racing there is far, far higher standard that that of British nationals - Zappi (the pizza man from Stevenage) team was there about 3 years ago and go humiliatingly blown out of the water by everyone.

Loads of local cycling. By really friendly guys wearing flours kit.

Have a cool bike (i.e. Nothing by Trek) and every time you stop people will head over to admire and gossip.

Don't take British club rider pretensions with you - go and be Euro cool. in fact, don't wear club kit.

It's also the area where the Italian national team do there mountain training - they pitch themselves in Rocca Di Mezzo and use the road through the mountains past my house and on to L'Aquila.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Here you are - an old stage that went past my house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzMTfTRQ04

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Monte Urano. It's a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUO_rY9ucZM

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    Quick bit of Giro

http://www.abruzzoturismo.it/co.uk/inde ... in-abruzzo

Do a YouTube search - last stage there was a couple of years ago. It tends to go past my front door every couple of years. Loads of local racing there is far, far higher standard that that of British nationals - Zappi (the pizza man from Stevenage) team was there about 3 years ago and go humiliatingly blown out of the water by everyone.

Loads of local cycling. By really friendly guys wearing flours kit.

Have a cool bike (i.e. Nothing by Trek) and every time you stop people will head over to admire and gossip.

Don't take British club rider pretensions with you - go and be Euro cool. in fact, don't wear club kit.

It's also the area where the Italian national team do there mountain training - they pitch themselves in Rocca Di Mezzo and use the road through the mountains past my house and on to L'Aquila.

Any decent bike hire in the area?

http://www.activeabruzzo.com/bike-hire/
    Found these which are well reviewed but not entirely sure what radius they would cover for delivery and the bikes look a bit underwhelming although they'd do the job at a push.
  • Matthewfalle
    Probably something in Pescara - I have a bike there so have never looked into it. Let me have a google browse. Otherwise just take one with you - do BA still do free sporting goods on a flight.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Quick google - first result.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... ruzzo.html

Loads showin* if you google bicycle hire Pescara - you can have a look through,

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    http://www.rentalbikeitaly.com/p/ironman-703.html

Pescara - allegedly full carbon Ironman Italia spec

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tarmac8
    MrB123 wrote:
    Have a look at Girona. Could be perfect for you.

Thanks - Have heard wonderful things about the cycling in Girona, will suggest it and see if she likes the looks of it!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sounds like my holidays - trying to mix cycling with family holiday.

Yes, Gerona is great for cycling and a cool city too. Didn't cycle there but did a day trip. Really want to go back for longer.

Malaga is a good one as well. I can recommend bike hire from https://www.facebook.com/recyclobikecafe/ *(their website seems to be down).

Have a look at Grenoble. You're not far from Alpe d-Huez and the Vecors.

But my top recommendation would be for Annecy, that's a good location for both of you. I could recommend a few days here, Geneva and Bourg-Saint-Maurice. They're all within an hour of each other and will fit the city / culture / cycling / walks / beach thing.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Wherever you choose, don’t underestimate the heat and how hard it can make cycling. I went up Teide in August, my Garmin was showing 45 degrees in the sun. I couldn’t drink water fast enough to replace what I was losing.
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    Tarmac8 wrote:
    Looking for ideas for a holiday in the summer (July-August). Based in the UK, wanting to go away for 7-10 days somewhere with good weather to get a fair bit of training in.

Only catch is I'm going with my girlfriend who doesn't cycle... so plan will be to get out early in the morning and back early enough to spend most of the day doing stuff with her. Was looking at Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Tenerife etc.. Didn't know if there were any better suggestions from anyone?

http://www.redrocktrails.co.uk is based in the Spanish Pyrenees, about 2 hours from Barcelona. There's great road and mountain biking around there, with climbs like Coll de Canto often used by La Vuelta and sometimes Le Tour.
    There's loads to do for non-cyclists too - rafting, hiking, kayaking, dinosaur footprints, parascending, a lake to swim in and loads more. Barcelona is close enough for day trips and there are loads of local festivals of food throughout the year.