Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

One piece handlebar and stem on an climbing bike?

simon_wüsimon_wü Posts: 15
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hey guys. i am about to buy a new handlebar and stem for my Scott Addict 10. now i am not sure if i should buy an one piece aero handlebar and stem or stay with the two pieces.

what would you do? would you ever put an one piece aero handlebar and stem on an climbing bike?

best wishes
Simon :)

Posts

  • dstev55dstev55 Posts: 742
    Personal preference in all honesty. I think I'd find the shape of the bars a bit weird for climbing as I spend a lot of time holding the tops of the bars whilst climbing. If aero bars bring some added stiffness though it may benefit you when out of the saddle.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Bars are consumables. If you have an off and they take a hit - I'd be getting new bars. I'd not replace the stem - so this could be expensive.

    Position - unless you know 100% that you're happy with the position - why use a one piece ? It's fine for the pros - they have mechanics on hand to get the right fit and replacements are free.

    It will save you a bit of weight but at a price and I'd much prefer to be comfortable rather than 50gr lighter.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    I had FSA Plasma one piece bars on my first carbon bike. Although they were ok, unless you're happy with the stem angle, you're stuck with them as there's no adjusting the bars for angle or reach as you improve and want a more slammed position or a more easy going position. With a separate system, you have the option to switch stems and alter the angle of the bars.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dstev55dstev55 Posts: 742
    Fenix wrote:
    Bars are consumables. If you have an off and they take a hit - I'd be getting new bars. I'd not replace the stem - so this could be expensive.

    Position - unless you know 100% that you're happy with the position - why use a one piece ? It's fine for the pros - they have mechanics on hand to get the right fit and replacements are free.

    It will save you a bit of weight but at a price and I'd much prefer to be comfortable rather than 50gr lighter.

    Not sure you buy a one piece stem / handlebar for weight saving, I'm guessing the OP is looking at them on the aesthetical front.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Well yes - if you have found the ones that fit you and you are happy with them then why not?

    Does it matter if it's a "climbing bike" or not?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Thank you for the answers :)

    i personaly thought about the stiffness and the comfort. i once had the opportunity to test the canyon aerod with the one piece bars. the flatter part on the bars felt pretty good to me.
    of course i think it would look pretty nice too. But i thought mostly about the change because of the two mentioned points; stiffness and comfort. :)
  • Does it matter if it's a "climbing bike" or not?

    i don't know. that's why i ask you X :lol:
    I've never seen any one piece bars on the pro climbing bikes and i have no idea why :D
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Well, my take on it (as with everything else) is that if it works for you then go for it. Can't possibly think of a reason - so long as all fits fine - why not.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Surely a bike has to descend too ? Pretty much all of my rides end up back at the place I set out from ?
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    Surely a bike has to descend too ? Pretty much all of my rides end up back at the place I set out from ?
    You may find you spend a lot less time descending than climbing however.
    Faster than a tent.......
Sign In or Register to comment.