Cycling glasses recommendation

majster
majster Posts: 66
edited April 2018 in Road general
Hi there

Really struggling with road cycling and no glasses at present, particularly with the wind. I have no got some contact lenses hence able to use cycling glasses

Any recommendations please for nice cycling glasses that seal out the wind as much as possible, are comfortable and won't break the bank - happy to spend on a decent pair if this is prudent to get it right

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    'breaking the bank' is a relative term - what is your budget?
  • I'm happy to spend between £50-100 if there is a functional benefit in spending the extra, however, if functionally I can get the same for less then fine

I'm not into designer things so don't need to spend for the design

Hope that makes sense
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    edited February 2018
    Assos Zegho's are by far the best glasses I've ever used.

The Carl Zeiss lenses are superb, they don't fog up, and they are huge so you get full frame free vision.

They don't put pressure on the side of your head, but also don't slip, in fact they are so comfortable that it's easy to forget you are wearing them, especially the clear ones.

Obviously they are really expensive, however, I've picked up a few used pairs on ebay for just over £100. The lenses don't scratch easily so they are all blemish free.

If you cycle a lot they are, in my opinion, worth the retail price, although those who haven't used them will no doubt disagree.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    I've got a pair of these, which I find great.

Might be at the top of your price range though.

https://www.optilabs.com/product/rascal/
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I went to the London Bike show at the weekend and these guys had a stand:
    http://sportsglasses.online

I had a good chat with their sales guy and bought a pair of their Hawk glasses.

Single vision inserted lenses were £90 with 5 changeable lenses.

Might be worth a look?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sailing glasses are also really good - very comfy, good lenses, don't steam up and don't look jeffbag. Edwyn's chandlery has a huge selection at great prices: worth having a look at his online shop (run by his sister Margaret, so actually quite efficient).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    My Oakley Radars (I know .... expensive) are definitely the one piece of cycling 'clothing' that I've got the most value for money from.

In the last 6 years of riding mtbs and road bikes I've never ridden once without them. Photochromic lenses mean I don't even have to change the lenses. On the road in the height of summer or night-time on the local trails.

I'd imagine I've worn them 6 or 7 hundred times for maybe a couple of thousand hours. Nothing has come close to that sort of use. I've had 4 bikes in that time!

What I'm trying to say is that I find it a lot easier to justify spending big here than a lot of other gear. They look like new (I spent £10 on new nose and ear rubber bits) but I'd not hesitate to splash out again.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Take a look at Wiggle's selection - something from BBB or Tifosi would probably suit, and would be well within budget..
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I buy homage/randomly branded similes from aliexpress, they work fine but its not a choice everyone is comfortable with. POC style, jawbreaker or radar EV clones are good for wind blocking and all round visibility. Jawbones I find obscure the view a bit.

On the more legitimate scale I've heard good things about Bollé safety glasses, loads of styles available for about a tenner on ebay. My wife skis in some and loves them.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    edited February 2018
    SunGod pacebreakers.

sungod.to/eL3xZF6N

Excellent quality, great optics, customisable.

URL not linking so will need to cut and paste it into the browser.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited February 2018
    GrenW wrote:
    My Oakley Radars (I know .... expensive) are definitely the one piece of cycling 'clothing' that I've got the most value for money from.

In the last 6 years of riding mtbs and road bikes I've never ridden once without them. Photochromic lenses mean I don't even have to change the lenses. On the road in the height of summer or night-time on the local trails.

I'd imagine I've worn them 6 or 7 hundred times for maybe a couple of thousand hours. Nothing has come close to that sort of use. I've had 4 bikes in that time!

What I'm trying to say is that I find it a lot easier to justify spending big here than a lot of other gear. They look like new (I spent £10 on new nose and ear rubber bits) but I'd not hesitate to splash out again.

I can only echo this - if you are someone who looks after your kit, then I would highly recommend a pair of Oakleys - I'm a Radarlock fan myself, but have several models after I was gifted a pair and witnessed the quality of both the frame and lenses.
    The photochromic lenses are phenomenal.

IIRC they are often on offer for under £100 (Perhaps not with Photochromic though)

The grippy bits they use on the arms and nosepieces are superb, I literally forget I am wearing them, and never have to do the annoying act of inching them back up my nose.

If you are someone who drops them, loses them, sits on them, leaves them on the roof of your car - then I would not!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    kingdav wrote:

On the more legitimate scale I've heard good things about Bollé safety glasses, loads of styles available for about a tenner on ebay. My wife skis in some and loves them.

This is what I use, Bolle, from Screwfix.

I am always dropping my glasses, and would hate to ruin an expensive pair. Also, I am always mislaying them (or my son keeps pinching them?), so I have loads of pairs around the garage, with either clear, yellow or smoked lenses. Means I can always find a pair.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Agree with Bender, I left my oakleys at home an was offered a pair of sungods by a friend, very very good, had no issues with fogging or wind an I suffer from very watery eyes in even a slight wind.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What I said in another thread a few minutes ago:
    cooldad wrote:
    Photocromatic are pretty rubbish riding in trees, they don't change fast enough when you go from open to shade etc.

I go with JBA. I use clear most of the time, and ESP (tinted) if it's going to be especially sunny. (Bolle Contour - even look like cycling glasses.)

Under a tenner on Ebay. I tend to lose them regularly, so have a small stash - there was a seller doing them for a fiver or so inc postage a while back. I cashed in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Bolle Universal, clear or tinted. Keep the wind and cold out (I also wear contacts) and are really comfortable. Less than a tenner must be worth a punt
  • I've tried various expensive glasses over the years and usually manage to leave them beside the road, run over them, sit on them etc etc so now I always use these; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polarized-Sung ... dpSrc=srch
    They're just the job for me.
  • +1 for photochromic. I have no experience of them not being suitable under trees personally. I’ve used them in glaring sun in the Alps too . Mine are Tifosi who offer v good range at around the £50 - £60 mark. Check out Evans Cycles for good stock. Tifosi label their photochromic lenses ‘ Fototec’. Think you can get the Fototec in a lighter or darker tint. Mine are the darker tint. I’ve used them all year round in all light conditions.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    If you have a Decathlon near you (or a computer obviously.. :wink: ) I have a set that cost precisely £15. With 4 lenses, and I use contacts myself. They "look the part" if that's important to you, don't fog, keep off the wind etc, and a replacement nose bridge.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got Bolle clear safety glasses, one pair with a metal frame that are better in that the arms and nose piece can be bent to fit my face easier but the screws that secure the lenses are in my eyeline.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Absolutely do not need for expensive glasses for cycling. I've worn my Oakley polarized £££ ones and also a pair of fake Oakleys courtesy of Ebay and no difference. In dull light conditions I wear a pair of clear safety glasses I "borrowed" from work and they are fine. By all means spend the extra if you want to and want to get a known brand or whatever but there is certainly no need to.
  • I once dropped a pair of fake oakleys on to a carpet, from my hand - and they shattered. Haven't bought anything similar since.

I wear Oakley Wind Breaker 2.0s now - they're technically sold as ski goggles (wore them on sunny days on the slopes too) so they're massive, and if you're fussy on wind coverage then that's a shout. Oakley's optics are ridiculously good.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Oakley Radar EV photochromic. The only pair of cycling sunglasses you will ever need.
  • Well buy some approved non-shatter ones then but to be honest, if I was to come off bike then my glasses breaking isn't exactly high on priorities, I reckon way more likely to land on side/back and break bones but whatever. My point is you don't need high end glasses if all you are concerned about is wind protection to prevent eyes watering. Do what I do, use safety glasses, both clear and tinted. Guaranteed not to shatter and cheap. Sorted. However, you may want to spend £200 on branded glasses you can wear whilst pootling along on your Pinarello just so you look the part....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited February 2018
    Poptart242 wrote:
    I once dropped a pair of fake oakleys on to a carpet, from my hand - and they shattered. Haven't bought anything similar since.
    Oakley's optics are ridiculously good.

Exactly - and what happens if you get a stray stone or piece of gravel thrown up by a car overtaking - not unheard of at all.
    I don't fancy picking bits of plastic or gravel out of my eye really.

I think there is a lot to be said for the clarity, quality and scratch resistance of the lenses as well.
    Their optics have a stunning reputation, and with good reason imho.

I too have used the Bolle glasses (£7) in the past, and they were fine for a 2 mile commute, but I personally wouldn't have used them for a 50 miler at the weekend.

They don't stay on my head or on my nose as well, and do slip about - for the money they are excellent vfm, I'm not denying that for a minute.

And the thing is with Oakleys, you can often get them at well below £100, and at that price, for me, they easily justify their cost.

The Radars I compare to sitting behind a car windscreen - the lack of lip at the bottom and the upper lip being out of the direct line of sight, just means for me, that I look through them, and forget about them - rather than them being in my vision, slipping down etc - fit and forget I guess, which for me, is the ultimate compliment.
    Plus, when I have had any issues with any glasses or lenses, they (Oakley) have been very attentive to resolving them for me, and leaving me a happy customer.

And what's more - yes they cost a bit, but then don't most of our bikes and kit - and I class these as a sound investment, as they will last me a lifetime, or 20 years at the very least - and if I get bored, I can easily sell on for a decent amount, though that won't happen in this instance.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Well buy some approved non-shatter ones then but to be honest, if I was to come off bike then my glasses breaking isn't exactly high on priorities, I reckon way more likely to land on side/back and break bones but whatever. My point is you don't need high end glasses if all you are concerned about is wind protection to prevent eyes watering. Do what I do, use safety glasses, both clear and tinted. Guaranteed not to shatter and cheap. Sorted. However, you may want to spend £200 on branded glasses you can wear whilst pootling along on your Pinarello just so you look the part....

My mate fell off on some diesel spilt on road. I was behind him and luckily managed to avoid. His lenses were shatterproof, unfortunately the plastic arms on his POC glasses were not, one of them snapped in half and gave him a new eyebrow piercing. I had to pull it out for him :shock:
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™

My mate fell off on some diesel spilt on road. I was behind him and luckily managed to avoid. His lenses were shatterproof, unfortunately the plastic arms on his POC glasses were not, one of them snapped in half and gave him a new eyebrow piercing. I had to pull it out for him :shock:

Well NOT if you wear approved safety glasses like wot I do! I work in the oil industry and believe me they are waaaaay more concerned with safety than the cycling community so the ones I wear do not and will not shatter, either lenses or arms. But whatever, you pays your money and takes your choice. By all means pay top dollar if you want to, the point is you don't NEED to.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    I once dropped a pair of fake oakleys on to a carpet, from my hand - and they shattered. Haven't bought anything similar since.
    Oakley's optics are ridiculously good.

Exactly - and what happens if you get a stray stone or piece of gravel thrown up by a car overtaking - not unheard of at all.
    I don't fancy picking bits of plastic or gravel out of my eye really.

I think there is a lot to be said for the clarity, quality and scratch resistance of the lenses as well.
    Their optics have a stunning reputation, and with good reason imho.

I too have used the Bolle glasses (£7) in the past, and they were fine for a 2 mile commute, but I personally wouldn't have used them for a 50 miler at the weekend.

They don't stay on my head or on my nose as well, and do slip about - for the money they are excellent vfm, I'm not denying that for a minute.

And the thing is with Oakleys, you can often get them at well below £100, and at that price, for me, they easily justify their cost.

The Radars I compare to sitting behind a car windscreen - the lack of lip at the bottom and the upper lip being out of the direct line of sight, just means for me, that I look through them, and forget about them - rather than them being in my vision, slipping down etc - fit and forget I guess, which for me, is the ultimate compliment.
    Plus, when I have had any issues with any glasses or lenses, they (Oakley) have been very attentive to resolving them for me, and leaving me a happy customer.

And what's more - yes they cost a bit, but then don't most of our bikes and kit - and I class these as a sound investment, as they will last me a lifetime, or 20 years at the very least - and if I get bored, I can easily sell on for a decent amount, though that won't happen in this instance.

I do quite like the idea of buying something once and forget about it. I'm quite careful and look after things.

If I were to go down the Oakley route - is the Radar the best one to get as there seems to be huge number of types

Also any ideas of where the Oakleys are on sale at present or any good deals?
  • Oakleys every time for me, ive got Radars and Jawbreakers both are excellent, I paid £105 for the jawbreakers on Wiggle recently.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube