Calibre Saw MTB vs Two Two

Spencelondon
Spencelondon Posts: 7
edited February 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi all
What do you think of this spec for the price of the bike. I was comparing it with the Two Two. Not that much off and a good price. What do you experts think?

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-saw-m ... ke-p414114

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The saw is on sale for £250, so it's a no brainer really.

They both look similar to me, the saw looks a bit more modern.

I'd get the saw and with the savings put a £200 airfork on it as the forks on both bikes aren't particularly great.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    The two. Two is better, but not sure it's £200 better. The gauntlet is a decent step up on both. Have a look at the Voodoo bikes from Halfords too.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    As an owner of a Two.Two, I'd be really tempted by the Saw at 250. The Two.Two is expensive now at 429.
    Bigger wheels being the main advantage.
    I'd be worried about it only being 7 speed.

At 250 it's got to be the best option as a starter bike.

After that, either sell it and buy a better bike or keep the Saw and budget for 9 speed shifter/cassette/rear mech swap (assuming that's possible?) and a better fork, both from second hand/ebay rather than new.
    Convert to 1x9 by binning the front mech/rings and shifter.
    Add a dropper for around £100 and some decent tubeless tyres.

Or just buy the Gauntlet which is pretty much ready to go as it is.
  • The bike is a great bike for its price but the hubs let it down massively. Since I bought the bike 6 months ago now all I have had is problems with them, especially the rear hub. The amount of times I've had to tighten up the cone bolts is stressful. It's not really an easy job either, got to take off the cassette and disc brake mount which is also a problem area, why isnt it solid mounted to the hub rather than being held on with 6 screws which are not easy to get to especially if you haven't got a certain Phillips screwdriver. If you get this bike just make sure you have the money to upgrade the wheels and make sure you buy a rear wheel that can have a slide on cassette with a locking ring rather than the cheaper screw on cassette.
  • hi thinking of getting the 2020 voodoo hoodoo whats your thoughts