Pinnacle Arkose

shewy
shewy Posts: 62
edited February 2018 in Cyclocross
So loving the idea of a gravel bike/cross bike, been in Evans and really like the Pinnacle Arkose, but unsure which model, the 2 or 3 has hyraulic Tiagra/105, and the 4 has the 1 x 11. Had Tiagra before and shifting was flawless, guess the 105 would be as good or better, but would the Sram 1 x 11 be as good? need it to climb well as hilly where I am, but also want to do canal paths and slight river paths. Not going to run out of gears at the top end as not brave enough!

Comments

• Sram Double Tap gearing feels very different to Shimano STI, I test rode a Boardman CX Team indoors on a turbo last year and couldn't accurately change to gear I wanted very often.

If there was an Evans in Southampton, i would have tried an Arkose X before now, to see how easy it is to adjust to the bar end shifter. So much tyre clearance with guards, a whopping 45mm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    shewy wrote:
    So loving the idea of a gravel bike/cross bike, been in Evans and really like the Pinnacle Arkose, but unsure which model, the 2 or 3 has hyraulic Tiagra/105, and the 4 has the 1 x 11. Had Tiagra before and shifting was flawless, guess the 105 would be as good or better, but would the Sram 1 x 11 be as good? need it to climb well as hilly where I am, but also want to do canal paths and slight river paths. Not going to run out of gears at the top end as not brave enough!
    Sram/Shimano/Campagnolo all work perfectly when set up correctly. I would be comparing the benefits of 1x11 vs 2x11. 1x is lighter and simpler but can have bigger jumps between cogs. 2x has a bigger range and closer ratios but is heavier and the added complexity of a front derailleur (not that complex admittedly).

I'm also looking at the 3 and 4 and the 3 is currently favourite as I like the idea of a sub-compact chainset and I prefer the black frame :)
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    There's an interesting Arkose thread on Singletrackworld with regular contributions from the bike's designer https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... e/page/23/