Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Upgrading to 105

m___gm___g Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
Hi. First post and relative beginner I suppose. I’ve got a Specialized Allez 2014 with Shimano Claris. Link below

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... -2014/2J55

I’m looking at upgrading the groupset to 105 as I’ve done nearly 3000k on it and I’m pretty sure the cassette needs changing and possibly the bottom bracket. Didn’t ride it too much in the first two years I had it but started commuting 10 miles each way recently so it’s seen a lot more heavy use.

My plan is to keep this bike as an all round/all weather for the commutes and weekend rides. Then save for a nicer bike in the future.

I know I need new wheels to upgrade to 11spd so I have a compatible hub.

I’m planning on buying some tools and fitting it myself. The only bit I’m unsure about at the moment is the BB. On the sigma link it’s listed as having a Shimano Octalink spline. The 105 groupset at wiggle comes with an ‘English thread bottom bracket (BBRS500).’

Would this fit on my bike or do I need something different?

Posts

  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    m___g wrote:
    The only bit I’m unsure about at the moment is the BB. On the sigma link it’s listed as having a Shimano Octalink spline. The 105 groupset at wiggle comes with an ‘English thread bottom bracket (BBRS500).’

    Would this fit on my bike or do I need something different?
    You just remove the Octalink one and install the new one :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    But don’t get rid of any of the Octalink: although much like square taper it’s not trendy, it weighs basically the same, works really well and is bombproof. V1 Octalink (road) is silly expensive for stuff like b/bs, so don’t lob it into next door’s garden after hitting it with a hammer and setting it on fire.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • m___gm___g Posts: 6
    Ok great! Thanks both for you help! :D
  • dhungerfdhungerf Posts: 65
    Unrelated to the question but, 3000K and worn out?

    Suggestion to clean and lube the drivetrain more often. Just as a point of reference, I clean and lube after every ride, change my chain about every 3000 miles and I have needed to change my rear cassett once. I ride 5000 to 6000 miles per year and have 20,000 on the Bike.

    I ride a similar bike, Specialized Allez, Rival components.

    BTW, Good plan to upgrade to 105. The Claris is entry level at best


    Cheers
  • frozefroze Posts: 149
    I seriously doubt after only 3,000 miles the Claris stuff is worn out, that stuff should have at least another 10,000 miles left on it.

    I would suggest repairing whatever is wrong unless you got the fever to upgrade. The 105 upgrade is a good upgrade and you will notice a big improvement immediately, plus the 105 stuff will last a lot longer to the tune of at least 50,000 miles, of course mileage will vary on your riding style, mountainous vs flat, your weight and the level of maintenance given to it.

    On average components like the front derailleur and rear derailleur between 25,000 for the lower end stuff to 90,000 for the higher end stuff but not Dura Ace which won't last as long due to lighter weight parts; Cranks can last 25,000 to 100,000 miles; bottom brackets can go as little as 15,000 miles to 100,000 miles; brake calipers 50,000 to over 100,000; and briftors from 20,000 to 50,000. So you can see there is a wide range of miles that a component can last depending on if lower quality or higher quality.

    (the mileage estimates are NOT for the chain, the chains can last between 2,500 to 8,000 miles; rear cassette will last about 3 times longer then the chain; or chainrings which will last about three times longer than the rear cassette.)

    Another issue, in my 2nd paragraph I said to just repair whatever is broken and continue riding it, and if you did upgrade to 105 there would be a huge improvement...BUT, if I were you I would hold off upgrading and just keep what you have repaired and running for a long enough time to save up money and buy a bike with 105 already on it, then you'll have a bike that the frame will be lighter and more responsive to along with the components that are a huge improvement over Claris, so the total package will be a revelation for you. With the sort of miles you're riding you will come to the conclusion that you are deserving of having a better bike! So that is my suggestion, hold off and save that money you would have spent on a groupset and add more to it over time and buy something really nice when you can afford it.

    Unless you'll be racing, and I wouldn't even then, I wouldn't go any higher than Ultegra, in fact if done right you can get 105 so close to the feel and action of Ultegra if you were riding one or the other blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. What I did with my 2013 Lynskey Peloton that came with the 105 component package was to substitute the 105 rear for an Ultegra for only $32 more, I then used swapped the standard Shimano cables for Dura Ace cables which I think cost me $30 more, but just those two changes made the whole system indistinguishable from full Ultegra and just a very minor difference from Dura Ace, like going from Ultegra to Dura Ace. I have about 9,000 miles on the bike and components and so far not one mechanical issue...not even the chain has needed replacement yet! Keep in mind that substitutions and paying just the difference can only be done BEFORE you ride the bike, after you have ridden the bike the shop won't do it because now the parts on the bike are used and they can't sell them as new.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    froze wrote:
    I seriously doubt after only 3,000 miles the Claris stuff is worn out, that stuff should have at least another 10,000 miles left on it.

    I would suggest repairing whatever is wrong unless you got the fever to upgrade. The 105 upgrade is a good upgrade and you will notice a big improvement immediately, plus the 105 stuff will last a lot longer to the tune of at least 50,000 miles, of course mileage will vary on your riding style, mountainous vs flat, your weight and the level of maintenance given to it.

    On average components like the front derailleur and rear derailleur between 25,000 for the lower end stuff to 90,000 for the higher end stuff but not Dura Ace which won't last as long due to lighter weight parts; Cranks can last 25,000 to 100,000 miles; bottom brackets can go as little as 15,000 miles to 100,000 miles; brake calipers 50,000 to over 100,000; and briftors from 20,000 to 50,000. So you can see there is a wide range of miles that a component can last depending on if lower quality or higher quality.

    (the mileage estimates are NOT for the chain, the chains can last between 2,500 to 8,000 miles; rear cassette will last about 3 times longer then the chain; or chainrings which will last about three times longer than the rear cassette.)

    Another issue, in my 2nd paragraph I said to just repair whatever is broken and continue riding it, and if you did upgrade to 105 there would be a huge improvement...BUT, if I were you I would hold off upgrading and just keep what you have repaired and running for a long enough time to save up money and buy a bike with 105 already on it, then you'll have a bike that the frame will be lighter and more responsive to along with the components that are a huge improvement over Claris, so the total package will be a revelation for you. With the sort of miles you're riding you will come to the conclusion that you are deserving of having a better bike! So that is my suggestion, hold off and save that money you would have spent on a groupset and add more to it over time and buy something really nice when you can afford it.

    Unless you'll be racing, and I wouldn't even then, I wouldn't go any higher than Ultegra, in fact if done right you can get 105 so close to the feel and action of Ultegra if you were riding one or the other blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. What I did with my 2013 Lynskey Peloton that came with the 105 component package was to substitute the 105 rear for an Ultegra for only $32 more, I then used swapped the standard Shimano cables for Dura Ace cables which I think cost me $30 more, but just those two changes made the whole system indistinguishable from full Ultegra and just a very minor difference from Dura Ace, like going from Ultegra to Dura Ace. I have about 9,000 miles on the bike and components and so far not one mechanical issue...not even the chain has needed replacement yet! Keep in mind that substitutions and paying just the difference can only be done BEFORE you ride the bike, after you have ridden the bike the shop won't do it because now the parts on the bike are used and they can't sell them as new.

    how about cable friction?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    You may not need a new freehub / rear wheel. A lot of freehubs are 9 / 10 / 11 speed compatible, the difference being addition ( or not ) of a spacer between the freehub and cassette.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    froze wrote:
    I seriously doubt after only 3,000 miles the Claris stuff is worn out, that stuff should have at least another 10,000 miles left on it.

    I would suggest repairing whatever is wrong unless you got the fever to upgrade. The 105 upgrade is a good upgrade and you will notice a big improvement immediately, plus the 105 stuff will last a lot longer to the tune of at least 50,000 miles, of course mileage will vary on your riding style, mountainous vs flat, your weight and the level of maintenance given to it.

    On average components like the front derailleur and rear derailleur between 25,000 for the lower end stuff to 90,000 for the higher end stuff but not Dura Ace which won't last as long due to lighter weight parts; Cranks can last 25,000 to 100,000 miles; bottom brackets can go as little as 15,000 miles to 100,000 miles; brake calipers 50,000 to over 100,000; and briftors from 20,000 to 50,000. So you can see there is a wide range of miles that a component can last depending on if lower quality or higher quality.

    (the mileage estimates are NOT for the chain, the chains can last between 2,500 to 8,000 miles; rear cassette will last about 3 times longer then the chain; or chainrings which will last about three times longer than the rear cassette.)

    Another issue, in my 2nd paragraph I said to just repair whatever is broken and continue riding it, and if you did upgrade to 105 there would be a huge improvement...BUT, if I were you I would hold off upgrading and just keep what you have repaired and running for a long enough time to save up money and buy a bike with 105 already on it, then you'll have a bike that the frame will be lighter and more responsive to along with the components that are a huge improvement over Claris, so the total package will be a revelation for you. With the sort of miles you're riding you will come to the conclusion that you are deserving of having a better bike! So that is my suggestion, hold off and save that money you would have spent on a groupset and add more to it over time and buy something really nice when you can afford it.

    Unless you'll be racing, and I wouldn't even then, I wouldn't go any higher than Ultegra, in fact if done right you can get 105 so close to the feel and action of Ultegra if you were riding one or the other blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. What I did with my 2013 Lynskey Peloton that came with the 105 component package was to substitute the 105 rear for an Ultegra for only $32 more, I then used swapped the standard Shimano cables for Dura Ace cables which I think cost me $30 more, but just those two changes made the whole system indistinguishable from full Ultegra and just a very minor difference from Dura Ace, like going from Ultegra to Dura Ace. I have about 9,000 miles on the bike and components and so far not one mechanical issue...not even the chain has needed replacement yet! Keep in mind that substitutions and paying just the difference can only be done BEFORE you ride the bike, after you have ridden the bike the shop won't do it because now the parts on the bike are used and they can't sell them as new.

    you do realise that all the cables are thesame so you paid 30 franklins more for no reason?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Yeah dude in June, new 105 will hit stores. R7000 fyi
Sign In or Register to comment.