BMC TeamMachine SLR02 Wheel Upgrade?

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
edited February 2018 in Road general
Looks like I will soon be purchasing a BMC TeamMachine SLR02 105 2017 (geometry perfect match for me, according to recent bike fit). Looking at the spec, and reading around, there is a suggestion I should swap out the wheels (Shim RS11s) for something better straight away. Any thoughts on this?

I'm upgrading from a 2012 Defy with stock Giant SR2 wheels, so it may well be that it will feel a lot quicker anyway, and wheel upgrade can wait a year or so. On the other hand I'll get more cash from selling on brand new RS11s.

Not exactly a huge problem, but advice appreciated none the less

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Usual questions - budget? Weight? Type of riding?

You could spend just £300 though and get a set of wheels that are significantly better than Shimano RS11's.
  • dstev55
    And I assume you mean a SLR02 rather than a SL02? That was an old model from a few years ago now.

The SLR is an awesome looking bike, especially if it's the grey one with red writing that I can see when I search for it.
  • tjw_78
    dstev55 wrote:
    And I assume you mean a SLR02 rather than a SL02? That was an old model from a few years ago now.

The SLR is an awesome looking bike, especially if it's the grey one with red writing that I can see when I search for it.

Yes, sorry, the SLR02, Grey, red writing. It does look nice :)
  • tjw_78
    dstev55 wrote:
    Usual questions - budget? Weight? Type of riding?

You could spend just £300 though and get a set of wheels that are significantly better than Shimano RS11's.

Probably about £300. Sunday rides in the Chilterns - solo & club. Keep the Defy for winter, bad weather, and commuting.
  • dstev55
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/ ... elset-2017

^^^these^^^

£190 and will climb much better than the RS11's being 400g less in weight. They're also tubeless ready which is a huge plus.

If you don't use the RS11's you could probably get £100 for them on eBay which means you've spent next to nothing although I'd be inclined to spend some of the money saved on a good set of tubeless tyres (sell the originals with the RS11's)