Bike Permanently on Trainer

hypster
hypster Posts: 1,229
I have a Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer and I take the bike off the trainer after each ride. However, due to the faff of running the calibration each time I setup the bike, I wondered if it was OK to leave the bike set up on the trainer?

Has anyone with a wheel-on trainer experienced any problem with the resistance roller permanently pushed on to the rear tyre say?

Comments

• It's fine. But, can't you just undo the rear knob to take the cylinder off the tyre when not in use?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I leave my 'summer' bike on there with carbon wheels full time, it has a trainer specific tyre on. I like the lack of faff when I get an hour to myself. No idea if it's OK but I can't see why it wouldn't be
  • hypster
    It's fine. But, can't you just undo the rear knob to take the cylinder off the tyre when not in use?

If you undo the cylinder then you can't be absolutely sure that the tension will go back in exactly the same position as when you previously did the spin-down calibration. At least not on the Kinetic trainers because they have a screw adjusting knob for the tension rather than lever like some wheel-on trainers.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Of course it is. Why on earth wouldn’t it be?

I leave my turbo bike on the turbo for years and it’s never broken.

What a weird question.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I've got a kinetic road machine. I leave the bike in permanently. The knob has "kinetic" written on it. I do exactly 4 rotations on then off afterwards. So long as the tyre pressure is the same that seems to work. If I'm using the derived power from the flywheel I always do the spin down calibration.
  • hypster

What a weird question.

I'm not talking about the bike breaking, I'm wondering about possible permanent deformation of the tyre against the roller. Thanks for the weird reply.
  • Matthewfalle
    hypster wrote:

What a weird question.

I'm not talking about the bike breaking, I'm wondering about possible permanent deformation of the tyre against the roller. Thanks for the weird reply.

Seriously?

No it won’t permanently deform your bicycle tyre.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hypster wrote:

Seriously?

No it won’t permanently deform your bicycle tyre.

Apparently this is/was a thing with some softer compound tyres and basic trainers where the roller is screwed up against the tyre.

The theory goes that if you leave the roller pressed hard against the tyre it can form a "bump" after a while (my guess would be a long while) which while not fatal, could lead to an annoying vibration when you spin it up. A few manufacturers recommend that you loosen off the roller when not in use - or at least they used to - it's been a while since I've used a wheel-on trainer.

I've never experienced this issue.

Also shouldn't be an issue with trainer specific tyres.
  • I always disengage the roller but mainly because I assumed it needed to be detached to check the tire pressure every time anyway.
  • Matthewfalle
    I always disengage the roller but mainly because I assumed it needed to be detached to check the tire pressure every time anyway.

Why?

Bike on trainer

Push tyre with finger

Just chuck some air in

Jobs a fish.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I leave my old road bike on turbo permanently, I just slacken off lever so wheel not engaged against roller when not in use. Does it matter if I didn't? Dunno but I suppose there is a possibility of long term deformation etc but as it's easy to disengage roller when not in use, that's what I do.