Are Python bikes any good?

TonyFisher
TonyFisher Posts: 5
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a hybrid so I wasn't sure where to post this. I want the "off roady" type so I guess here makes sense. Does anyone know about Python bikes? Especially the Python Quantum 8000? People tell me to get a Subway 1 instead but having only sat on them I much prefer the Python and it's my favourite out of many I've looked at. Yes I know the Subway has better quality parts so I guess what I'm asking is whether the Python is total garbage or fine if that's what I really want. I'll be 90% on road but I like the odd thrash along undulating bumpy tracks.
Thanks.

~£250. The Python Quantum 8000 Gents City bike is the simple aluminum framed urban bike. Equipped with Rigid Forks, Shimano Tourney 21 Speed Gears and V-Brakes
Options Available:

Bike Model: Quantum 8000
Sizes: Available in 18'', 20'' and 22'' Frame
Colour Available: Matt Black

Specification:

Frame: Python 6061 Alloy Frame
Fork: Hi-tensile Steel 700C Fork with tapered blade.
Brakes: Promax Alloy V brakes.
Gears: Shimano Tourney TX-35 (7 Speed)
Gear Shifters: Shimano EF-51 EZ-Fire Shifters.
Crankset: SR Suntour Triple 28/38/48T with alloy crank.
Wheels: Alloy Double wall rims with front alloy quick release hub.
Weight: 13Kg

Comments

• I had python 8000 lasted me well over 5 years very decent if not counting maintenance.

If I were you I would buy any 29er with shwalbe marathon tyres and something better than shimano tourney derailleur.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You'd be better off spending £250 on a secondhand bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bottom end parts. I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ive seen better hybrids for that money, entry level gear shifting and a basic rear wheel with spin on freewheel.

Better for similar money
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-fil ... ke-p296255
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/forme-winst ... ke-p375971
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -22-frames
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Ive seen better hybrids for that money, entry level gear shifting and a basic rear wheel with spin on freewheel.

Better for similar money
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-fil ... ke-p296255
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/forme-winst ... ke-p375971
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -22-frames
    Really like that calibre bike, tyres definetly for speed but thicker than average 23c found on a road bike.
  • The Rookie
    28 is probably average for a road bike these days, 23 is pretty passé.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've just ordered the Subway 1 from Halfords. The gear levers on the Subway 2 are awful (my hand has more than 2 fingers) but they seem a bit better on the 1. Since it seems pretty much impossible to actually try any of these bikes properly before buying I can only go with popular opinion. Every review, video, mention of the Subway seems positive so I ignored my (non tested) liking for the Python. Also, thinking about it further I really want a hybrid close to a MTB. Thanks again guys.
  • The Rookie
    The Subway is a solid choice, they are a little on the heavy side compared to ones designed for faster road use, but they are dependable and reliable (normal caveats apply) and have a reputation for being pretty bomb proof.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    TonyFisher wrote:
    The gear levers on the Subway 2 are awful (my hand has more than 2 fingers) but they seem a bit better on the 1.

What does that mean?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    That he prefers cheap Tourney shifters to Altus, I suspect the Altus were just set up wrong, possibly too far out so the levers interfere with holding the grips.
  • JBA wrote:
    TonyFisher wrote:
    The gear levers on the Subway 2 are awful (my hand has more than 2 fingers) but they seem a bit better on the 1.

What does that mean?
    Sorry, I meant break levers. There was only room for 2 fingers. I prefer something much bigger.
  • JBA
    You don't need anything bigger. Most decent brake levers are designed for 1 or 2 finger use.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    You don't need anything bigger. Most decent brake levers are designed for 1 or 2 finger use.
    I most definitely do. It's obviously better to have something big to grab hold of when an unexpected pot hole or bump can make you almost let go of handle bars and you desperately need to regain control and slow down or stop. It's down to personal taste anyway so please don't tell me what I "need" after 45 years of cycling. I know precisely what I need and so do thousands if not millions of other regular cyclists using proper levers.
  • The Rookie
    Erm no, other way round, much better to brake 2 fingers and have the other two wrapped round the bars, it’s why MTB’s have pushed towards 1 and 2 finger braking, you hand is more likely to come loose if all fingers are wrapped round the brake lever.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As someone with 63 years of cycling, being on 2 wheels since the age of 4, I only use one finger. As The Rookie has said better to have a good grip of the bars.

Back in the 80's when you didn't have suspension the worst thing you could do is have too many fingers on the brakes when you were hammering downhill on a rock strewn trail.

Even on my CX I only use one finger when I'm riding mainly MTB trails. An old lesson learnt.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    TonyFisher wrote:
    JBA wrote:
    I most definitely do. It's obviously better to have something big to grab hold of when an unexpected pot hole or bump can make you almost let go of handle bars and you desperately need to regain control and slow down or stop. It's down to personal taste anyway so please don't tell me what I "need" after 45 years of cycling. I know precisely what I need and so do thousands if not millions of other regular cyclists using proper levers.

I didn't tell you what you "need".

I was simply pointing out that the better modern flat bar and MTB brakes are designed for one or two finger use. The more fingers you have on the bars the more control you have. Newer brakes have better actuation ratios and don't need a fistful of force on the lever to make them work efficiently.

However, as you know precisely what you need and are happy with a lower specification bike then that's up to you. I didn't intend to upset you and apologise if I did.