Alitalia with a bike

FatTed
FatTed Posts: 1,205
edited September 2019 in Road general
HI
Anyone know what the deal is with taking a bike on an Alitalia flight?

Within Europe (Italy)

I'm not sure there is an alternative

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How do you mean there is not an alternative?

Have you contacted Alitalia to ask them? I suggest that they may be the experts,
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FatTed
    Thanks
    Not a lot of help, there does not seem to be any way to book extra luggage or a bike.No alternative because no one else flys that route
  • FatTed wrote:
    Thanks
    Not a lot of help, there does not seem to be any way to book extra luggage or a bike.No alternative because no one else flys that route

You really haven't tried very hard have you. It's all there on their website. Very easy as well.

Have a great trip, with your bike, if ever your search-foo sorts itself out.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    FatTed wrote:
    Thanks

What route?

Anyway, it's the coolest airline in the world - just phone them and ask. It's soooo cool flying Alitalia.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    Ah well, clearly none of you have actually flown with a bike on Alitalia., or with an extra piece of luggage.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    the instructions on the website are perfectly clear
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FatTed wrote:
    Ah well, clearly none of you have actually flown with a bike on Alitalia., or with an extra piece of luggage.

Nope. But none of us would have had an issue with finding out how straightforward it is either ;)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    From the sounds of it, as long as your bike is less than 23kg, you will pay the normal extra bag fee of €60. Does that help?
  • Matthewfalle
    FatTed wrote:

But we know how to call them or look on their website.

Why the anger against the coolest airline in the world?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    Jayme wrote:
    From the sounds of it, as long as your bike is less than 23kg, you will pay the normal extra bag fee of €60. Does that help?
    Yes but I cant find where it says that or how to book and pay for the extra luggage
    Its easy with BA, Easy Jet, Aer Lingus, Cathay, Air NZ, Singapore, Malaysia, Qatar and Virgin
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    edited February 2018
    Beats me.
  • I'm disappointed that you gave in. It was becoming more amusing by the post that we all knew it was there but it was his own poor internet skills that were letting him down.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Don't know what you mean.
  • FatTed
    Don't know what you mean.
    +1
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    I find asking the people direct rather than random strangers on t'internet helps.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Hi, I was wondering if anybody has flown with Alitalia bringing their bike recently. Their website says that you can take a bike that weights 23kg or less for free, and it does not say that there is a limit on the size of the box. I called the customer service and I could not get consistent answers about whether there is a size limit or not, so if somebody has had direct experience that would be very helpful.

Thank you!

More details about the customer service phone calls:
    The first time I called I talked to an English speaking agent and I was told that there is a limit of 158cm (sum of width, length and height), so the same as the suitcase. The second time I talked to an Italian speaking agent and again he told me the same things at the beginning, and said that the oversize charge would be $300 (flying from the US to Italy). When I pointed out that the fee for a tandem bike is $150, and that the tandem bike would be bigger than a single seat bike, so that made no sense he put me on hold and checked somewhere else and told me that there is no size limit, only on the wait. The box would most likely be 139x23x87 cm, so it would exceed the limit.