Advice on transporting road bike in/on a hire car abroad

discobobulated
discobobulated Posts: 4
edited August 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm flying to Lourdes with my road bike in May to spend a few days cycling in the Pyrenees. I'm after a bit of advice on how to transport the bike from the airport to Luz Saint Saveur and back. Is it generally possible to hire a car with a bike rack? I have checked with a couple of car hire companies and they can't provide bike racks. Are there companies which do? If not, would I have to hire a large, expensive car and put the bagged-up bike in it? What do others do?

Thanks,

discobobulated

Comments

• If you have more than 2 in a car it's a problem. Otherwise most medium size hatchbacks will easily take a bike box with the rear seats folded.
  • Thanks brakeless. There are three of us with hand luggage (and the bike) so in theory we only need a smallish car with a bike rack, if such a thing exists. Estate cars are waaaayyyyy more expensive...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So buy a bike rack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Luggage on top of the car and the bike in the boot ? I've seen inflatable racks that you could take with you.

Or hire a bike at your destination ? Or hire a van ?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    How many of you are going?

The last two trips to the Pyrenees (Stansted-Biarritz flights) we've hired a small 3 seater van through Enterprise and its actually been cheaper than a car.

Pic of van (and trip write up) here https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/pyrenees/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Get a folding bike rack that hangs of the back and the bike sits on two protruding arms, the simpler the better. Then for the bike box get one that has slots to fit onto said rack design. Otherwise a hatchback with split rear seats will give you room for three people, bike box and luggage.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends on the car and box. I'd go for the cheaper van.
  • Thanks for your advice. The problems with taking a rack are (i) it's extra luggage to take on the plane and (ii) compatibility with the hire car as you never know for sure which model of car you will get. I have to take my own bike as it's a 68cm beast and fits in a bag but not a standard bike box. I'm quite surprised that car hire companies don't offer racks as an optional extra in the same way as baby seats etc, especially in a big cycling area. I'll look into the small van option. Cheers.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Rent a van / large people carrier; or
    get a local taxi/ transport company to transport you; or
    Seasucker bike racks (never used them myself but they get good reviews).
  • Can I place a note of caution regarding Seasucker. Vacuums decay as air leaks out, and legally in the UK at least you are responsible if it goes wrong.
  • Small van is probably your best option.

If you are getting a transfer I recommend this company. They are very reliable, but be aware taxis in France are always expensive.
    http://www.lourdes-transferts.com/GB/index-GB.php

I would also recommend Argeles-Gazost rather than Luz. Easier to get to and more things for non-cycling family members to do.

All (as far as I know) car rental companies disapprove of the use of attachments to their vehicles. In the small print, it may say that use of bike racks or other attachments invalidates the insurance.
    Vélo Peloton Pyrénées Café and Bike Rental
    https://pyreneesrental.bike
    https://velopeloton.com/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    3 front seater van all day long.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I cycle abroad 2 or 3 times per year and would never think of taking my own bike.
    Local rental is generally 20 to 30 euro per day and you get a bit of support plus a chance to play with something different.
    No additional travel costs, no need for a bigger rental car, higher ferry price, bike box purchase or rental etc etc.
    Maybe not for everyone but serves me well so thought worth sharing.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    A rear bike rack would most likely also require a light board with registration plate if it obscures any of the aforementioned. Can't imagine hire companies bothering with the expense or hastle.
  • Just break the bike down (wheels off, saddle) and put it in the boot or if it's a hathback put one seat down and put it upright.

I have done this at home, if I have cycled somewhere and getting a lift back. Try it on your own car at home. You can leave your bike box at the airport.
  • I cycle abroad 2 or 3 times per year and would never think of taking my own bike.
    Local rental is generally 20 to 30 euro per day and you get a bit of support plus a chance to play with something different.
    No additional travel costs, no need for a bigger rental car, higher ferry price, bike box purchase or rental etc etc.
    Maybe not for everyone but serves me well so thought worth sharing.

Hiring locally just about pays for itself, plus there's no hassle in breaking down and rebuilding bikes before/after travel. No worries about missing luggage or how the "considerate and helpful" airline staff will treat your gear. Any mechanical problems are sorted locally and there's always the chance of trying something new.
  • ... and I should add that I am totally useless at any kind of workshopidness, so I would also have to pay a shop to put my bike together
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Stay with pyrenees cycling in bareges. They'll pick you up and drop you off as well as been a spot on family who cook great food.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago