11 speed cassette on 10 speed

JamesHavill
JamesHavill Posts: 14
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an xt wide range 11spd cassette that does not get much use and on a different bike i have got a 1x10 which needs a wide range. Is it possible to run the 11 speed cassette on the 10 speed but jusy take out one sprocket?

If it is, would i use a 10spd or 11spd chain? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    No, not really. You'd need to replace all the spacers, or use something to adjust the pull ratio to make it match 11 speed spacing.

Sell the cassette or save it for when you do need it. 10 speed cassettes are cheap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    NO, the spacing is different and you would need to use 11 speed shifter, mech and chain, so may as well convert the bike to 11 speed in full.

As an 11 speed cassette (MTB) fits the same freehub as a ten speed why remove a gear either way?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    NO, the spacing is different and you would need to use 11 speed shifter, mech and chain, so may as well convert the bike to 11 speed in full.

As an 11 speed cassette (MTB) fits the same freehub as a ten speed why remove a gear either way?
    Oh ok thanks for the help
  • TimothyW wrote:
    No, not really. You'd need to replace all the spacers, or use something to adjust the pull ratio to make it match 11 speed spacing.

Sell the cassette or save it for when you do need it. 10 speed cassettes are cheap.
    Ok thank you