TT Build: Cockpit buying/bodging advice

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I've acquired an old Teschner Aerowave TT frame rather cheaply (inevitable consequence of ISP frames in the second-hand market), and was going to try and build it up cheaply to do a few club 10s and 25s. I had been TT-ing on an old fixed gear bike and my roadie with clip-ons, so I've got very little in the way of transferable kit.

What I do have is a frame, a pair of wheels (PX 50's), 10spd Shimano rear derailleur, a set of brakes, clip-on aerobars I'm fairly happy with, and a saddle or two to start with. As I say, not wanting to break the bank, but I know little to nothing of TT kit. I was planning a 1x10 build.

Can I:

Run any old shifter up front, as most appear to have a friction/non-index mode? I'd be losing indexing, but that's not really a huge sacrifice for most of the courses I'll be on.

Use my existing clip ons with a TT basebar, or are these things specific?

Invert and chop down an old set of drop bars for a basebar?

Use a double chainset and no FD, as I won't be shifting anyway, or do I need a specific 1x crank?

I realise these are bordering on stupid questions, I just don't have much in the way of time or money to waste on dead ends.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    - Yes you can just run a friction shifter, but I wouldn't. 10spd indexed ones are cheap and pleantiful
    - Yes, as long as the clamp size is the same (I have a Zipp Vuka basebar laying about if you need one)
    - I wouldn't as it's super janky and brakes may not fit.
    - You can use a double chainset without a front mech, but you'd want a 1x specific ring (AeroCoach Arc, SRAM N/W, etc.)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    PLanet x do decent bits at very affordable prices plus also check the clearance sections of the normal: this is how I built up my TT bike.

Only use it once every 10 years so bare minimum budget and turned out really nice for little to no money.

Most expensive thing were the shifters that I got shafted for from my LBS because I mistakenly trusted him.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The bars are maybe a little pricy for me, given I'm aiming to land this thing sub-500 quid. Bagged a pair of 7800 DA shifters for 30 quid, which is nice. PX have some serious cheap base-bars, which will do until I'm dialled.

Now I've the pair of shifters (singles just don't seem to exist, new or second-hand), there's probably not much difference in getting a 1x ring and the price of a braze-on FD, so I might drop the 1x idea for now. Annoyingly, I do have 2 BB30 cranks sitting in the parts box I can't use.

The frame seems quite nice, but I know little to nothing about it, bar it was rather expensive at release and seems light for a TT bike.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    eBay, patience and local buy and sell groups came through for me. I've got it built for all of 150, but that will go up when I replace the brakes.

Didn't like the paint job, so I have the children Sharpies and let them have at it.

https://twitter.com/MrMuncherToYou/stat ... 17632?s=19

Thanks for the pointers.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    Top work with the paint job, what a fabulous idea!