Please help to calculate chain length

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hello all. Please kindly help to calculate how many links do I have to have in the new chain Iam trying install now.

Few details: new chain Shimano Dura-ace ultegra, 116L, 10speed

The cassette is: cs-6600, 10 speed.

The rear derailleur is tiagra.

The front derailleur is FSA omega bb30 50/34T N10/11 (that's what is said in the outer ring) on the inside ring says N10

Will be using quick link kmc from an old chain.

Basically the old chain is much shorter, but would like to have a proper calculation before cut is made.

Many thanks all in advance.

BR

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Put the new chain round the big cog, big ring, not through the mech plus one link (the master link being half of the one link).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Put the new chain round the big cog, big ring, not through the mech plus one link (the master link being half of the one link).

Thanks cooldad. Appreciate it. Should the tension be moderate or ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if the old chain worked fine you can just line the two up next to each other.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • if the old chain worked fine you can just line the two up next to each other.
    thanks Matthew. Old chain was worn out ( stretched out a bit) I think I just need to line up two and then cut new a bit shorter? Thanks
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You can always have a look at the Shimano technical docs on their website which tells you how they recommend setting the chain length.
  • wongataa wrote:
    You can always have a look at the Shimano technical docs on their website which tells you how they recommend setting the chain length.

Thanks
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    denispearl wrote:
    thanks Matthew. Old chain was worn out ( stretched out a bit) I think I just need to line up two and then cut new a bit shorter? Thanks

If you still have the old chain, just line the two up and cut to the same length. The old chain is not going to have elongated much more than a few mm.

Alternatively, just count the links.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's assuming the old one was the right length. I've seen plenty that aren't.

Always worth checking, and I assumed that's what the OP wanted to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    denispearl wrote:

Pleasure dude - happy to help.

Yup - the old one will probably have stretched by half a link or so, so I get a wooden board and just lie the two next to each other.

Should be a 5 minute job.

Hope that helps.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As has been said - just use the old chain as a reference. The links will go out of synch on the stretched old chain as you compare - so you just need to hoik it up a bit and match up the pairs of links.