Propel or keep the 12

Okayjoe
Okayjoe Posts: 10
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi I’m looking for some buying advice thanks

I am thinking about spending some money on a 2017 Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2 with 105/and carbon 1750g wheels.
I have tried the bike at the giant store and found it comfortable and responsive.
I am currently on a CAAD12 Ultegra with shamals and find it a tad chunky also the alloy frame is a unforgiving even with carbon handlebars and 25mm tyres.

I am looking to use it as a crit bike and all rounder so should I

* stay with the caad12 and buy some deeper carbon wheels for comfort and speed?

* buy the propel and upgrade wheels and groupset in time?

I know I have kind of answered my own question but just looking for opinions
People have told me propels are a bit “old hat”

I have 1600-1800£ to spend

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Don’t race what you can’t afford to crash.

For crits I’d stay with the CAAD, but you seem to have set your heart on the Propel .....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Okayjoe wrote:
    I have tried the bike at the giant store and found it comfortable and responsive.

I'd keep the CAAD
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Don’t race what you can’t afford to crash.

For crits I’d stay with the CAAD, but you seem to have set your heart on the Propel .....

Hmmm thanks man might have to have another test ride
  • Okayjoe wrote:

I'd keep the CAAD

Caad is great and stiffer but after 40/50 miles beats me up something proper ,
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Keep the CAAD
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    CAAD here as well. Deep wheels not a necessity for Crits either, but they do look and sound good so that’s a bonus.
    If you get yhe chance of a 50 mile test ride on the Propel that would be an interesting comparison, do you feel beat up the same after riding that?
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    The Propel with beat you up as much as, and probably more so, than the CAAD over distance. A few in the club have them and find the Propel unforgiving.
  • w00dster
    I’ve ridden both a fair bit and find them both fine. Both are good bikes, really down to what the OP feels more comfortable on.
    If the CAAD is a size 52 definitely sell it, to me for peanuts, rubbish bikes far too stiff. If it’s bigger, keep it, top bike and ideal for Crits!
  • I've had a Propel for the last year and done about 5000km and 10 crit races on it.

I have never ridden a CAAD.

My two cents is that the Propel is pretty unforgiving and very stiff. I've had a few sketchy moments cornering during races. But is is nice and light, and super responsive. I've had some good results on it and it seems to have helped my sprinting due to the stiffness.
    Few other things - I found the stock saddle atrocious so upgraded to a Selle one - you might want to factor this in. The stock tires were pretty rubbish too so you might need to upgrade them, particularly for crits for a set of grippier ones.
  • w00dster wrote:
    I’ve ridden both a fair bit and find them both fine. Both are good bikes, really down to what the OP feels more comfortable on.
    If the CAAD is a size 52 definitely sell it, to me for peanuts, rubbish bikes far too stiff. If it’s bigger, keep it, top bike and ideal for Crits!

Thanks everyone for their input,

I have a 54cm I am 5'11, it's difficult to put my finger on it, the propel definitely picks up speed quicker I will try a longer run on it, I have spidering on caad with shamals the bike and have vittoria graphenes 25mm I'm thinking the combination from the stiff wheels and alloy frame and crap roads is kicking my arse, the tyres come up quite narrow maybe I should try wider with lower pressures

Do like the 2017 propel adv pro 2 paint job though, probably similar weight to the caad12, Was thinking to buy the giant sell the slr wheels and buy some prime carbon 50mm which are about 300 g lighter ?
    Hmmmmmm
  • w00dster
    I generally run lower pressure at this time of year, currently on 32mm tyres on my Domane, 55 to 60 psi, lovely!
    I would try and get out for as long as possible on the propel, could be an expensive experiment if you find that just as uncomfortable on 50 mile rides.
    The 2018 propels look interesting, does the one your looking at have the giant aero cockpit?
  • w00dster wrote:
    I generally run lower pressure at this time of year, currently on 32mm tyres on my Domane, 55 to 60 psi, lovely!
    I would try and get out for as long as possible on the propel, could be an expensive experiment if you find that just as uncomfortable on 50 mile rides.
    The 2018 propels look interesting, does the one your looking at have the giant aero cockpit?
    Yes might try wider tyres, I am looking at 2017 bikes that are on discount not the new shape ones with the discs.

Like the idea of trying deeper carbon wheels on the caad
    Hmmmm
  • Matthewfalle
    Okayjoe wrote:
    w00dster wrote:
    Yes might try wider tyres, I am looking at 2017 bikes that are on discount not the new shape ones with the discs.

Hmmmm

CAAD with 60mm carbon tubs.

Rockin'

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Okayjoe wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

Hmmmm

Haha sounds cool if I had the patience for tubs

Rockin'
  • CAAD12... superb bikes! Incredibly stiff, fast, responsive
  • Matthewfalle
    Okayjoe wrote:
    Okayjoe wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

Hmmmm

Haha sounds cool if I had the patience for tubs

Rockin'

NO understand - what do you mean "if I had the patience for tubs"?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.