The finest Mars Bar I've ever had (Bromley)

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited February 2018 in Road general
ppp

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Haha!! Great post!

I can relate, although I find Snickers is the best in those situations.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Welcome to bonk, brother, i friekin hate those. Keep emergency gel on you always.
    And yes, it's sugar that gets into your blood first, it starts breaking down already in mouth.
  • Got to agree with the spare gel thing, I now take one with me as a matter of course. Only seriously bonked once and was rescued by a can of coke and a mars bar. Kudos to those who helped you
  • I tried my first ever HC climb solo last summer and took everything I thought I needed. It's about 26mi total and 6200ft. Not steep, just continuous.

I had eaten everything and drunk all my bottles (3). A little under 3 hours total I got to the top and almost cried when I saw there was a snack bar at the top that accepted credit cards.

Snickers bar. Sweet sweet nectar.

Oh, and there are two "mini" peaks you summit on the way then descend. Meaning I still had almost 1000ft to go on the way back down. That Snicker's bar was choice.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Fair play LC, glad you had a good outcome. I have only experienced this once, and had eaten before and during (But evidently not enough) the ride, and it came on very fast. I felt myself slowing down, and starting to waver and realised I was becoming unsafe to myself and others.

Pulled into the side of the road and virtually fell off the bike, lucky to unclip - then pretty much collapsed.
    Rang my gf, and nearly scared her to death, as I was unable to form a sentence just heavy breathe at her, eventually managed to impart some information, and where I was (only about 3 miles from home) and she then came to get me.
    I made sure I didn't lie down properly, as I thought I would pass out, and was worried about my bike!
    Once she arrived with food and drink, I perked up pretty fast, and was then ok.
    Proper scared me though - you can't envisage quite how bad it is until it happens.
    So pleased I managed to form a cohesive thought to pull in, as part of me was thinking I can go slowly and just make it home, but I am pretty certain I would have been wondering all over the road, and would have ended up falling over, and then it would have been a 50\50 whether that was into the road or not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18