Merlin and Shimano 11 speed chain

sam w
sam w Posts: 21
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi, recently ordered a 105 11 speed chain from Merlin. It arrived in OEM packaging, which is fine, but also came with a connecting pin partially installed. This was not the 'bullet' type I'm used to, where you snap half the pin off after installation. Swallowed my doubts and fitted it to the bike, second ride and chain split at the pin and rear mech has pulled into back wheel. Not happy.

I've fitted a lot of chains over the years and never had one snap, so obviously I'm questioning the quality of what they sent out. Anyone had experience of this setup before?

This is the chain I ordered

www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-c ... 5EEALw_wcB

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    standard 105 chain

nothing wrong with merlin, nothing wrong with that chain. perhaps it might have been - shock horror - you?

have you spoken to merlin?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sam w
    Bit more searching found this, looks like I have the same issue.

viewtopic.php?t=12650214

Accept that it's possible I put it together wrong, but given that a) I've put together a lot of chains and it's the first one I've ever had break at the beginning of it's life and b) it came with different hardware to the Shimano chains I've had previously and c)the chain has now snapped, ruining the mech hanger and possibly the mech hopefully you'll see why I have some questions around what I bought.

The previous thread was inconclusive about the suitability of that kind of pin for a home workshop, based on my experience I'd say just use a quick link or the aftermarket connecting pin.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    If you weren’t sure you should have talked to them before fitting it. You say you have fitted so many chains you don’t doubt your ability to fit it correctly, if that’s the case you should have known if it was right or wrong before fitting. Problem is now that you’ve ploughed on and done it it’s very hard to tell if the chain was wrong or if it’s user error.
    Give them a shout on Monday morning and explain calmly what happened.
    I do wish people would talk to retailers first and give them a chance before flaming them on a public forum.

Sorry, now read your second post as I got waylaid whilst writing the above.
    Looks like it was an OEM chain as you say and not a straight forward fit. Personally I probably wouldn’t have fitted it with that pin. I normally buy KMC chains as I prefer the split link way of joining. I don’t think Merlin can be held responsible for the damage caused as it’s not really their fault. Still talk to them and explain what happened and why you’re disappointed. You might get a bit of goodwill out of them. Check the chain carefully, if it’s not twisted or damaged you may be able to use it with a split link.
  • sam w
    Have contacted Merlin and am waiting for a response. Not intending to flame them, when I've dealt with them in the past and they've been helpful, but I do think their listing ought to make it clear that they're supplying an OEM product without the standard connecting pins.

I'm sure the product that they sent out is suitable for factory use, but given responses to this thread and the previous one, there does seem to be a question mark about it's suitability for home use as supplied.

I'll update the thread once I've heard back from them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    whats the difference between a home workshop and any other out of interest?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    In the other thread there was mention of a factory tool for dealing with chain rivers that need peering over.
    Sorry Sam, you seem a lot more reasonable than the bloke claiming Merlin have stolen his money for debiting his card for 3 orders he placed. I’ll post a link later, it really is very funny, I just had visions of that happening again.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    sam w wrote:
    Hi, recently ordered a 105 11 speed chain from Merlin. It arrived in OEM packaging, which is fine, but also came with a connecting pin partially installed. This was not the 'bullet' type I'm used to, where you snap half the pin off after installation.
    The only time I've seen a Shimano chain with the pin partially installed was when ordering bulk chain and only once did the chain arrive with a pin hanging out. All others the pin had been removed and all had the proper Shimano bullet pin included as well. It's possible that this pin wasn't meant to be left in the chain and not meant to be re-used. Were any bullet pins included with your chain? Unless it's an emergency road repair never re-use a pin on 11sp chains.
  • sam w
    The only time I've seen a Shimano chain with the pin partially installed was when ordering bulk chain and only once did the chain arrive with a pin hanging out. All others the pin had been removed and all had the proper Shimano bullet pin included as well. It's possible that this pin wasn't meant to be left in the chain and not meant to be re-used. Were any bullet pins included with your chain? Unless it's an emergency road repair never re-use a pin on 11sp chains.[/quote]

No bullet pin included. Certainly possible that the pin wasn't meant to be left in the chain. Did occur to me to wait until the next day and phone Merlin to check before fitting it, but being as they're reputable I decided to push on and use the pin. Obviously now regretting that decision!
  • Ordered the same chain last week and fitted it without issue, it had the connecting pin partially installed as you describe.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • sam w
    Update - Merlin have agreed to send out a new chain with a bullet pin to join, I've ordered and will cover the cost of new mech hanger.

Under the circumstances this feels like a fair response, straw poll of replies here (both threads) suggests that using the OEM joining pin is not the best solution for home use, but in the absence of definitive evidence one way or the other I don't expect Merlin to cover the cost of any other damage.

Overall outcome - Merlin is still the cheapest option for this chain, but I would recommend paying £2 extra to add a bullet pin to the order and discard the pin that comes with the chain.
  • I think every Shimano chain I've ever bought (not that many, I must admit - probably 4 or 5) has come with the pin partially installed. They have all been in normal retail packaging and I think they all came with a 'bullet' pin separately in a little bag to use if you ever wanted to split the chain.

I don't think it's an OEM only thing, and is mentioned in the instructions. Never had an issue with them and they don't require peening over.

P.S. just remembered I've had a Shimano chain with the weird bendy split link thingy.
  • I think every Shimano chain I've ever bought (not that many, I must admit - probably 4 or 5) has come with the pin partially installed. They have all been in normal retail packaging and I think they all came with a 'bullet' pin separately in a little bag to use if you ever wanted to split the chain.

I don't think it's an OEM only thing, and is mentioned in the instructions. Never had an issue with them and they don't require peening over.

P.S. just remembered I've had a Shimano chain with the weird bendy split link thingy.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Shimano do quick links now (Shimano SM-CN900 11 Speed Quick Link) my preferred choice to join a chain.
  • veronese68
    sam w wrote:
    Update - Merlin have agreed to send out a new chain with a bullet pin to join, I've ordered and will cover the cost of new mech hanger.
    Thank you for the update, I think that's a reasonabe outcome and you've been sensible about the whole thing. Apologies if I maligned you in my first post. This was the other thread about Merlin that made me think "oh no, here we go again"
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13089571
  • sam w
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Thank you for the update, I think that's a reasonabe outcome and you've been sensible about the whole thing. Apologies if I maligned you in my first post.

No offence taken, I probably would have left Merlin's name out of the thread title, but have ordered from most of the main online bike shops and Merlin are the first that delivered an OEM chain. I'm guessing Ribble would do the same, although I've not tried them.

Happy outcome in the end, I needed some more bits this weekend and ordered from Merlin, good service from them means they've kept a customer