new road bike £2.5k budget

bayhota
bayhota Posts: 40
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
basically have been looking now for a new bike for a few mths now, but haven't seen anything I have like. basically it has to have Ultegra or better, I've looked at everything from canyons to bmc, but seen nothing. any other suggestions?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Too many to mention.

What are you riding now ?

What do you want the bike for?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    bayhota wrote:
    basically have been looking now for a new bike for a few mths now, but haven't seen anything I have like. basically it has to have Ultegra or better, I've looked at everything from canyons to bmc, but seen nothing. any other suggestions?

How about the Orro Gold STC

https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/road/go ... a-11-speed

Right at the top of your budget but gets well reviewed

http://road.cc/content/review/202385-or ... a-11-speed
  • FIrst thing decide. Comfort, aero or light weight.
    Get the right bike for your needs and start there.
    Too many people around on aero bikes with all the spacers below the stem, the stem flipped and bars tilted up as they’ve gone with looks rather than buying what they need.
    Also check gear ratios, do you want 53/39 or 50/34? These things are expensive to change.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    If you’re going aero style, the Neil pryde nazare on wiggle with ultegra is a steal at £1695
    Leaving plenty of money for a good set of summer wheels
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you’re going aero style, the Neil pryde nazare on wiggle with ultegra is a steal at £1695
    Leaving plenty of money for a good set of summer wheels

Is that the one with the really good review in Cyclist this month? If so deffo worth a look.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • at the moment I on a cube gtc pro disc, I've looked at the bmc road machine orange red really liked it but I didn't want 105. I've basically increased the type of bike gradually over the past three years and this will be my last one for a while. I want something that with a need set of wheel will stand a few years.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Second hand Colnago C59 frameset for about £1200 leaving £1300 for new Ultegra Groupset, wheels and finishing kit.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am looking around the same price point.

My shortlist has comr down to:-

Kuota Kiral
    De Rosa idol
    Sensa guila g2

Probably at the moment in that order.
  • How many of them have you ridden* and which is the most comfortable for the type of riding you want to do?

*I think we all know the answer to this ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Set aside 1500 or so for wheels and kit, then use the remaining £1000 for a good used frame. I built up a Parlee Z2 into a decent machine for around £2k, Ultegra and Easton; although the 11 year old new-looking frame was an absolute steal at 700 quid from the original owner.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... ack_374131

Get one of these. Strip it down and sell off the unused Tiagra.

Then build it back up with new Ultegra and some nice wheels. Keep the old stock wheels for winter/training.
  • mr_mojo
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Set aside 1500 or so for wheels and kit, then use the remaining £1000 for a good used frame. I built up a Parlee Z2 into a decent machine for around £2k, Ultegra and Easton; although the 11 year old new-looking frame was an absolute steal at 700 quid from the original owner.

That's my view too. I built a C59 with 11 speed Campagnolo Record groupset and Neutron wheels with a decent finishing kit for under £1800. All non abused quality second hand parts, just keeping a look out on ebay for the occasional bargains. Got shifters with front & rear mechs for £210 and chainset with bb for £85 for example.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    By all means put Ultegra on whatever you buy, but please not the chainset. It’s the most hideous thing I’ve ever seen and doesn’t deserve to be on a nice bike.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Do not think you could go far wrong with this. Ultegra Di2 also.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-x ... id:2686208
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Willier GTR Chorus for £1899 on Wiggle
  • kingrollo
    Alex222 wrote:
    Do not think you could go far wrong with this. Ultegra Di2 also.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-x ... id:2686208

Doesn't look like £2.5k worth of bike though (I now the spec is good - but it just looks bland)
  • kingrollo
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Second hand Colnago C59 frameset for about £1200 leaving £1300 for new Ultegra Groupset, wheels and finishing kit.

Hi,

Could you enlighten me into colnago frame sizing ? - I work on a top tube of 535-540 - but Colnag0 seem to have introduced an 's' into there sizes - and some 53's have a 560 top tube ?

Like you suggest I am keeping an eye out for a used c59/c60 - but would like to be up to speed on sizing as these things don't hang about long
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Bowman Palace R or Cinelli Alu frame built up with Ultegra and whatever wheels you fancy.
  • mr_mojo
    Colnago use S in their sizes for sloping top tube frames rather than traditional horizontal. For a top tube of 535-540 you would want a 52S or either a 53 or 54 traditional.
    Good luck trying to build a C60 with a £2.5k budget, they do sometimes go on eBay for as low as £1.5k-£1.6k but rarely. Make sure if you do buy one it isn't a fake.

I have a C59 and C60 and to be honest I prefer the C59 although there isn't a great deal between them. The threaded BB on the C59 is a better design but with the CeramicSpeed C64 option coming out shortly that might get over that negative as it will also fit the C60.