Disc brake rotor

jupamaso
jupamaso Posts: 21
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Quick question: Will 140 mm rotor (shimano hydraulic brakes) be enough for long Alps descent? I'm on the verge of buying a CerveloR3 that comes with Ultegra hydraulic brakes, and after reading on forums, I'm a bit concerned about overheating/fading on long descents.

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Your weight and how you descend are the biggest factors. If your relatively light and gentle on the braking then you should be fine. Personally I’m 78kg, relatively gentle on the brakes, but I run a 160 upfront and a 140 on the back. I’ve no science to back up why I do that though, it just seems a bit more prudent.

Shimano Ice tec is supposed to help as well. It would be easy enough to buy a bigger rotor if you wanted to change your r3
  • I weigh75 kg. I like climbing, not so much descending. I really hate my 105 brakes that have no mudulation. I loved chorus rim brakes which had a lot of modulation. Not the greatest descender, but I don't grab the breaks for the while descent. Thinking of putting 160 mm on front and 140 mm back.