Never had a Road Bike

woodland81
woodland81 Posts: 19
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have a Boardman mx comp hybrid (13kg) and thinking of getting a road bike, im a bit nervous aboutthe different riding position, if i would develop back problems ( i do have issues at times) so dont want to spend too much incase i find i cant do it comfortably

Obviously looking for something that is lighter and will speed me up too. Mostly commute to work few times a week and maybe out and about on it at the weekend. At worst usually light gravel tracks.

Today I did 19miles.

I've seen this one on halfords which is 9kg or 10.5kg depending on what website believe., massive difference. I know its not expensive and probably entry level compared to some people, however other good reviewed road bikes ive seen are alot heavier. if not the same as my current bike.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -road-bike
http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/ ... oi-iqhl8dU

or anything else of a similar nature recommended which may have better components

Previously bought my bike on cycle2work however not worse doing this time if not spending a great deal. Can save that for another time if want to upgrade

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    Yeah they look okay at first glance, wheels aren't great and groupset isn't brill. I'd spend a bit more money on something else as you'll only want to upgrade things when you get it!

Something like this, have had the carbon version of the frame in the past and was super comfy as it's meant for endurance.
    Comes with better wheels, the new tiagra will be worlds apart from Claris aswell as much lighter and a carbon fork aswell.
    Hope this helps :D
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXRTFBB ... d-bike-kit
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Also, don’t forget the second hand market
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're anywhere near a Decathlon outlet then you could do a lot worse than their Triban 520 at £350. The BTwin bikes are always well regarded in the "starter" bike category and Decathlon seem to get good reviews for the customer and after sales service

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 79069.html
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have back issues how about getting a decent Pilates teacher to build up your core ? Probably the best solution long term.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Your not the first person to be daunted by the thought of a road bike, although the controls are in a different position it would only take a couple of rides to become second nature, stems can be changed to make handlebar height/reach more comfortable if no good out of the box. Follow some simple rules of bike fitting available on line to get close to a reasonable fit. Before you know it you’ll be on here asking about clipless shoes, aero helmets and entering sportives;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I have disc hernia, and i was very skeptical when i was about to buy my 1st road bike. After 14000km my back is better than ever. With a proper bike fit you will not have an issues at all. It will take some time to get used the new riding position but thats all.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I had been looking at the Triban bikes, the two other models.

That planet x one looks good but i do not fancy building an entire bike. On the two bikes ive had, the brakes have always been a problem for me ( i was playing around with disc pads yday), they were never right no matter how much played around with and ended up taking to the shop. I would definitely stuff up an entire bike build.

If I spent £500 one something like that, i would be better off getting a boardman on cycle to work
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... 5cm-frames
    as i would save about a 3rd and end up paying just over £600

In relation to my back, i have actually been doing stretches with a foam roller for a couple of weeks. I sit at a desk all day so thought it would do me some good
  • ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    That's a good deal then on cycle to work, carbon frame, solid groupset but shame it's not full shimano but hey ho and the wheels are bombproof! Get it, get it now.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    woodland81 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

That planet x one looks good but i do not fancy building an entire bike. On the two bikes ive had, the brakes have always been a problem for me ( i was playing around with disc pads yday), they were never right no matter how much played around with and ended up taking to the shop. I would definitely stuff up an entire bike build.

If I spent £500 one something like that, i would be better off getting a boardman on cycle to work

In relation to my back, i have actually been doing stretches with a foam roller for a couple of weeks. I sit at a desk all day so thought it would do me some good

I am a computers engineer, i sit in front of a monitor for around 12 hours per day, and i am 39. No issues at all, as soon as you listen your body, and take a rest when needed. My only advice is to choose an endurance bike since the geometry is more relaxed therefor more forgiving to the back.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    I have disc hernia, and i was very skeptical when i was about to buy my 1st road bike. After 14000km my back is better than ever. With a proper bike fit you will not have an issues at all. It will take some time to get used the new riding position but thats all.

I can relate to this. I don't generally suffer with a bad back, but had a bout of intense back pain during last summer.

Backs are complicated things and it's over simplifying things to assume that riding a bike will make it worse - far from it.

The only thing that relieved my back pain was riding my bike. It's quite an aggressively set up bike too, with probably about 6 inches of saddle to bar drop, and I always ride in the drops. Even riding my TT bike was fine.

In contrast, driving or sitting at my desk at work were excruciating even whilst taking painkillers.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    OP, if you go for the Boardam Team Carbon, endurance geometry, make sure you buy the correct size frame. Sizing advice can be hit or miss, depending on the knowledge of the member of staff you encounter.
  • The Boardman will be a million times better than that first bike you linked.

I’ve got an older Team Carbon and it was a big step up from my first Giant OCR Aluminium frames racer (I had a Cannondale Caad9 in between which was much closer to the Carbon Boardman though, so don't rule out decent Aluminium if you are going down the bike to work route).

Also it might be worth looking 2nd hand if you don’t want to do the bike to work route and want to stick to nearer your original budget. For instance I’m shortly going to be selling my Boardman and going to advertise it at £375 and see if that’s sensible pricing or not.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    YiannisM wrote:
    woodland81 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

TDV herniated one or two discs: her work got her an electric desk that she can either sit at or stand at.

May be worth asking your lot.

I am a computers engineer, i sit in front of a monitor for around 12 hours per day, and i am 39. No issues at all, as soon as you listen your body, and take a rest when needed. My only advice is to choose an endurance bike since the geometry is more relaxed therefor more forgiving to the back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tufa
    Tufa Posts: 21
    Gents sorry for asking here. I have a Giant Fastroad SLR 2017 which as Giant says it's a "road bike with flat handlebar".
    At the moment, using only for commuting, around 16 miles/day (lewisham to marble arch) and I would describe myself faster than the average commuter.
    Would be a road bike within this price-range (up to £1k) reasonably faster than my bike? Need to mention that my wind resistance is a bit high probably, as i am 6,2" 102kg and also need to ride with a backpack..