Brands that are cheaper in the U.S

stevepeter83
stevepeter83 Posts: 17
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm visiting US for holiday in April from Australia.

Have a budget for a new frameset, what would be bike brands that are cheaper there in the U.S? I've looked at Trek but they are as expensive as in Australia. Also, I'll be spending most of the time around San Fransisco - Vegas - LA area, what are the tax benefits should I claim at the airport?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Apart from some subtle differences in exchange rates, I doubt if you'll save much - if anything - by buying over there. And if you do find something cheaper, expect to get stung for import taxes when you bring it back. Something like a frameset is going to be very difficult to hide in your luggage when trying to sneak through 'nothing to declare'...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is mainly a UK forum, so doubt many people can help on US/OZ prices and tax stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out something like R&A cycles www.racycles.com

I know of one pal who got a good deal on a cervelo but it had to come back to the UK as used...

That's s few year's back now so no Idea if it's still worth doing. I doubt you'd get enough of a bargain to make it worth the risk/hassle.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Possibly something that is a US brand like Specialized may be cheaper, really have no idea.

Many years ago though when I was a serious water skier I bought an HO slalom ski for $400 that was over £450 here. However I took an old plank (literally!) in a water ski bag over with me and replaced it with my nice shiny new ski on the way home. For me it was worth the extra carriage on the way over. If you research beforehand and find a really good deal on a frame you could possibly take a really cheap/crap frame over with you and bring the new one back to (try to) avoid tax.
  • imposter2.0
    The notion that 'US' brands may be cheaper in the USA is probably a fallacy. The majority of the bikes are produced in the far east anyway, so it's going to end up costing just as much - if not more - to ship them over the the US as it is to the UK. Ironically, in terms of shipping costs, Aus is probably closer...

Most of these brands are controlled on a global basis anyway, so retail prices will probably not differ too much between countries, other than differences in currency rates, as mentioned..
  • It was once suggested to me by a UK bike shop that I could buy a high-end bike in the US, ride it out there and bring it home used. Thereby trying to avoid tax. I never did it as frankly I'm far too straightlaced to try and get away with it. But had I, it would have saved me at least 20% (ignoring costs of travelling out there etc).

I think you're probably safest focusing on clothing and accessory brands, like Search and State.
  • gimpl
    Imposter wrote:
    The notion that 'US' brands may be cheaper in the USA is probably a fallacy. The majority of the bikes are produced in the far east anyway, so it's going to end up costing just as much - if not more - to ship them over the the US as it is to the UK. Ironically, in terms of shipping costs, Aus is probably closer...

Most of these brands are controlled on a global basis anyway, so retail prices will probably not differ too much between countries, other than differences in currency rates, as mentioned..

So I gave you a clear example of an instance where a US 'brand' was significantly cheaper and you then state it's probably a fallacy - the mind boggles. I do wonder if you just come on here to deliberately disagree with people.

So Specialized is a US 'brand' (regardless of where it is manufactured). It may or may not be cheaper in the US, I have no idea but it's worth looking into.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You could always take a bike bag with you, buy a complete bike, ride it, then bring it home, dismantle it and sell the parts you don't want....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • imposter2.0
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

So I gave you a clear example of an instance where a US 'brand' was significantly cheaper and you then state it's probably a fallacy - the mind boggles. I do wonder if you just come on here to deliberately disagree with people.

So Specialized is a US 'brand' (regardless of where it is manufactured). It may or may not be cheaper in the US, I have no idea but it's worth looking into.

No offence mate, but I wasn't replying directly to you anyway. Having said that, you gave an example of some water skis, 'many years ago'. I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, but this thread is about bicycles. So I was talking about bicycles and I don't know anything about water skis. Sorry if that confused you.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I'd suggest the US made boutique makes would probably be cheaper, such as Parlee, Moots, Firefly, Seven etc. however none are cheap to start with!
  • Parlee for example, after conversion will be cheaper to buy in AU =O It costs $9,800 in AU and would have cost me AU$11k+ had I bought it in US.

I understand that I could have brought my bike bag, ride it there and take it home with me. Thus, I'm not paying any tax. However, if the price is comparable in AU then I may get it here instead and do it the other way around ie. claim the tax at AU airport and get 10% back.

So far I' can't find any brands that are way cheaper in US...

Steve
  • gimpl
    Imposter wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

No offence mate, but I wasn't replying directly to you anyway. Having said that, you gave an example of some water skis, 'many years ago'. I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, but this thread is about bicycles. So I was talking about bicycles and I don't know anything about water skis. Sorry if that confused you.

No confusion on my part, I gave an example and suggested a US 'bike' brand to look at. You were just being obtuse as usual.
  • imposter2.0
    Gimpl wrote:
    No confusion on my part, I gave an example and suggested a US 'bike' brand to look at. You were just being obtuse as usual.

Like I said mate, I wasn't actually replying to you. I do wonder if you just come on here to deliberately disagree with people.
  • gimpl
    Imposter wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:

Like I said mate, I wasn't actually replying to you. I do wonder if you just come on here to deliberately disagree with people.

You really are a troll :roll:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Can I be bothered to argue?
    ok - quick example on a complete bike
    https://www.sidsbikes.com/product/speci ... 4261-1.htm = $1200
    https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... lez-elite/ = £999

current Post office exchange rate (which probably isn't the best) = $1200 = £876 - so a £120 "saving" on a complete bike from a mainstream brand - before you've thought about how to get it home.

Of course, if you want to go to the Specialized Tarmac Pro - you can "save" £1400 on the whole bike - making the bike shipping fee worth it.

Word of caution - check out the warranty status - if you buy in the US and have and issue back here in the UK - then you may not get any warranty support unless you take it back to the states.

Word of making it used - if buying just a frame then take out an old groupset - or part - and fix it to the new frame - it's just a well looked after frame then ;) (No I didn't suggest that)
  • imposter2.0
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:

You really are a troll :roll:

As I've said to you three times now, I wasn't even replying to you, so I've no idea why you are getting so upset. You got the wrong end of the stick and have now made yourself look a bit silly in the process. If that makes me a 'troll' then I guess I must be. Meanwhile, back on topic - if you have any evidence that bike brands are significantly cheaper in the US, then let's see it.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Just to butt in. I don't think Gimpl is silly at all. He gave an instance where a piece of sports equipment was cheaper which is what the thread is about. I notice that you seem to be picky and argumentative in quite a lot of threads including one of my own recently.. just saying.
  • imposter2.0
    socrates wrote:
    Just to butt in. I don't think Gimpl is silly at all. He gave an instance where a piece of sports equipment was cheaper which is what the thread is about. I notice that you seem to be picky and argumentative in quite a lot of threads including one of my own recently.. just saying.

Look, I'm sure that there are many items of sports equipment that do indeed work out cheaper in the USA (like water skis, for example), but this thread is about bicycles - and there doesn't seem to be the same amount of evidence to suggest those may be cheaper, for all kinds of reasons explained earlier.

But if it's water skis you're after, you know who to ask... :roll:

Meanwhile, link me to the thread where I was 'picky' (sounds awful) with you - as I've no idea who you are.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If you have any need for Speedplay products you can probably find them slightly cheaper here in the USA. Speedplay seem to practice complete price controls and after exchange rates and other taxes they always seem to cost quite a bit more everywhere else. Also check the local sales tax for any of the cities you visit as they can range from around 4% to 8.5%.
  • gimpl
    socrates wrote:

Thank you. Just try to ignore him though, he really is a tool. Like you I've noticed that he likes to be argumentative for the sake of it; not just us either one of the former Mods picked him up on it as well.
  • How the hell do you get a Jetski through customs!!!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    How the hell do you get a Jetski through customs!!!

Either ride it all the way back ... although refueling is a bit of a PITA... or - ship it back part way - get dropped off somewhere south west of Lands End - and ride it the rest of the way ;)

Avoiding customs by arriving from sea on a small vessel is remarkably easy - even if you've nothing to declare ;)
  • imposter2.0
    Gimpl wrote:
    socrates wrote:

Thank you. Just try to ignore him though, he really is a tool. Like you I've noticed that he likes to be argumentative for the sake of it; not just us either one of the former Mods picked him up on it as well.

Nothing to do with you comprehensively misunderstanding my reply then? :lol: