Mud Tyres

pete112
pete112 Posts: 8
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am looking to upgrade my 2.4 Maxxis Ardent tyres for something that copes better in the mud on my Flow MK3 29mm rims.

The problem is that to get anywhere off road, I have to cycle for 3 miles or so each way on the roads.

I don't care about rolling resistance or weight but need something that won't break down to quickly on harder surfaces.

Does anyone have experience with the Maxxis Minion WT tyres and do you think they would offer decent grip and be durable.

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Minion isn't a mud tyre.

Do you really want mud tyres or tyres that will work in muddy conditions?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I was hoping for something that will cope with mud far better than my Ardents but not too soft or with too tall knobs that will get damaged while riding on the road.

Perhaps the correct question would have been what is the best winter time all rounder.

Thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Maxxis High Roller II, Minion DHF and DHR
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Magic Mary
    Specialized Butcher, Purgatory

It really depends on the type of terrain you mostly ride and what your budget is.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I can only tell you what I ride, you can decide whether it's right for your style of riding.

I ride to and from the local forest trails about 4-5 miles on tarmac each way, I used to ride (old) Nobby Nic up front and Rocket Ron on the back, these gave me predictable performance on the trails but I didn't do much off-piste stuff and to be honest I don't think they would have been the best, but with care I could stay upright.

I have since given up on those tyres and now run Vittoria Barzo front and rear, tubeless, all year round. They are nothing like the super-aggressive downhill tyres I see some riding but that style of tyre only works well in very specific conditions. I like to ride fast on firm surfaces and can do longer distances on tarmac with no real penalty, I don't aim to ride in thick mud (I'd buy a scramble bike for that, much more fun!)

So I think the answer to your question would be a compromise - you would need closer together knobs and a hard compound down the centre line of the tyre, with probably softer compound with larger knobs down the sides for cornering grip over rocks etc.

You could try a tyre with smaller, more closely spaced knobs and a soft compound that will grip stones but still clear the mud well, that's what I've found with the Barzo. It's not a mud tyre, it won't perform well in deep off-piste mud, but it will get you through muddy turns and puddles if you ride it right. You might find something else in the Vittoria line that suits your style better than the Barzo (there is a Vittoria 'mud' tyre), just don't get fixated on one or two brands such as Maxxis or Schwalbe.

I would also second JBA's suggestion of the Purgatory, I have read good reviews of this tyre.
  • Thanks for the advice.

I hadn't really looked at anything apart from Schwalbe and Maxxis but will check out Specialized.

I heard that Scwalbe can have side wall issues and cases of knobs breaking off on harder ground which is why I asked about the Minions durability for road use when cycling to trails.

I only started mountain biking in the summer and cycle along quite slowly. Just wanted more grip when going down the many steep muddy tracks in my area. Especially better straight line braking traction.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    What psi are you running the tyres at?

I currently run a set of ardents on my XC bike and ride in very muddy conditions through a lot of steep trails. I run them at around 25psi and find it grippy enough. It could be better but it doesn’t slow me down!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)