Praxis Crankset (Zayante) Users

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Anyone else using a Praxis crankset?
Installation guide suggests 48Nm torque on the NDS using 8mm allen bolt.
Thats a lot... enough to lock the crank ..
I have backed off the torque for the cranks to spin.
Anyone else have the same?
This is the Zayante.

Awaiting clarification from Praxis, as no one wants a crank to fall off mid ride.

Comments

• Not used a zayante but around 50Nm sounds right for that sort of design, it needs a solid metal to metal fit. If the crank is binding up when you tighten the bolt and comes free when you back it off then you have too many spacers in / BB bearings not fitted correctly / bb too wide. If you can't get the proper torque on it then it will probably fall off when you ride.
  • jgsi
    The BB M30 kit has pre installed bearings and is purpose manufactured by Praxis for the existing bottom bracket.
    No spacers are required, just bearing covers and 1 DS wavy washer.
    I can nip up the DS cup one more time , I suppose.
    I will wait for Praxis to reply for definitive explanation.
  • Try it without the wavy washer
  • jgsi
    Torqued up now to recommended 48-50.
    I found an extra 1mm of room for the cup adapter to get closer.
    It will be interesting to try and drift out the NDS cup in 2 years time for a service though...
    Praxis havent bothered themselves in replying though.
  • Timely post. I’ve just fitted one to a new build and never managed to get my torque wrench to click at 45nm. I run Camapagnolo cranks on all my other bikes with 45nm being pretty much the norm and the wrench engages, but I couldn’t get it to work on the Praxis. The cranks spin perfectly and the bike runs very smoothly indeed with no creaks.

I think I’m going to pop down to my mate’s LBS and try another wrench. Mine could be wonky (matron!).
  • jgsi
    I installed the NDS without the rubber o ring for the extra room to torque up the crank.
    Now , this is not on the BB30 install notes but is on the BSA threaded notes, the o ring is ONLY there to compensate for 'poorly' engineered frames, or should I say tolerances. My Caad10 , bless it, its pretty well built in that regard.
    So it does not require it.
    Why on earth Praxis cannot make that statement on the actual installation notes for press fit.
    Also their Youtube video again shows a mechanic fitting a converter without breaking a sweat and using the Praxis install tool for the cups (that in real life are not wide enough and slip off, thus endangering the bones in the hand) as though by magic by wafting a couple of socket wrenches about.
    It is not like these things are 'cheap'. They aint.
    Praxis still have not replied.