Fox Shock For Road Riding?

poulan9
poulan9 Posts: 12
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
First post for me here. I have a road bike which I 'upgraded' the rear shock to a Fox Float RP23 Boostvalve from about 2012 or so with a M tuning. I'm average size and weight. In reality it ended up being a downgrade as it didn't seen to have good low/medium bump absorption no matter how I set it up. It is quite stiff in the open position for the types of roads around here which have pot holes, especially on the sides of the road.

So I was considering getting one of the new Fox Float Factory Kashima DPS and see if the 5 or so years of advances translate into better low/medium bump absorption but I thought I would come to to more knowledgeable and impartial people than a salesperson and ask here if people think it will enhance the firm ride. What I'm ideally looking for is sensitive low/medium bump absorption and as close to the magic carpet ride as possible as I do not do high impact downhill. I know the Kashima coating is supposed to help with low bump absorption due to it's lower friction but not to what degree is makes a difference. Any thoughts would be appreciated from those who know a bit about shocks.

Comments

• My advice is to post on the MTB forums. :arrow: :D
  • I'm wondering if anyone has found a great rear shock for riding on poor UK roads?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My various mountain bikes are fine on most roads, but I wouldn't want to do a long commute on one.

I doubt most people worry about shocks for road use.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited February 2018
    Wrong thread. Idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Plenty of road riders manage on road bikes with thin tyres.

Your MTB has chunky tyres ? They should be enough for UK roads.

If you insist on ploughing into potholes just lift off the saddle. Sorted.
  • cooldad
    It's not a mountain bike (already a thread in the MTB section) and I don't think he's in the UK.
    poulan9 wrote:
    Actually it's a folding bike which has rear suspension and 20" wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Correct, I'm in the UK and running a 20" bike which incidentally do not usher you out of your saddle to stand up on the pegs - it's just not what I'm looking to do either. My other option is the Manituo Mcleod but which ever will be better for potholes and general light trail riding is what I will buy. It's between the Manituo Mcleod and the Fox Float Factory Kashima. Just hoping there is a difference between the 2012 RP23 which I've found to be hard and not supple at all.